Sail Ties - Type/size

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Probably seems like a silly question, but I haven't put the sails on the boat yet, and need to get new sail ties.  I have the tall rig, and wonder what length and type to get for the boat.  Would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Kevin Henderson

I prefer to save the $$ and just buy several feet of nylon webbing and cut to size.  I then tie a loop in one end and "viola"  you have sail ties.  I have also considered making my own from bungee and ball ends for the same purpose.  Regardless, cheap and simple is the way to go. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Mike : I use solid shock cord, but web ties also work.  I use 5 shock cord with a loop in one end and a fixed plastic hook.  You make them loose and NOT over tight.  

The choice of what to use is your choice.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

They keep blowin' off my neck when I use 'em, so it's always some combination of line with bowline making a loop or webbing.  I only need two.

Definition of mainsail & mainsail cover: The ONLY "work" left on MY boat!   :clown
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

While I prefer webbing (about 6 feet long, I use 4), line works great. I am a little careful about bungie cords with hooks or balls on the end.  When released they can (and have) pack(ed) quite a punch.  The hooks are particularly dangerous.
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
There is no such thing as a silly question.  As far as sail ties, they like to disappear, so I buy cheep.  To buy try

http://www.sailcare.com/sail-track-stops-sail-ties.shtml

buy the long ones and cut.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Les Luzar

I had four velcro straps made but only have to use three. They are not that long. I have three shorter ones about three or four feet and one a bit longer for near the mast. Their width is about two inches. Once attached then never come off. They work great and I velcro them around my waist when I go up on deck to secure the main.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

waterdog

I don't use sail ties anymore.    My sail drops in a bag and I close a zipper.    

But when I did have sail ties, I was always amazed at the near infinite variety of ways that crew would find to tie up the sail.   Going forward to hoist the main could be an adventure.  

So I made ties out of some three strand.   In one end was a loop.   In the other end was a monkey's fist.   When brother-in-law takes the boat out there was only one way to "tie" the sail.    Stick the monkey's fist through the loop and you are done.   The long one went close to the mast.   The short one went aft.   And even brother-in-law could figure out where to use the middle length one...  
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Mike McDonald

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario