Where Does the Gas for the Dingy Outboard Go?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_McKinney

Tony:

Don't you have a larger propane/CNG tank in a special locker on the starboard side of the cockpit? If you do, have you considered getting some extra hoses, a diverter valve and flow valve to attach to the main tank?  You would need a converter kit (Magma part A10-225), a control valve (part A10-220), and maybe an extra 12" section of the black hose with the brass fittings to go between the solenoid and the diverter valve. NOTE: There are different parts for Propane and CNG). You can leave this hooked up and still get the lid to the locker closed. I've used it with good success.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

tonywright

Hi Jeff

This sounds like the best solution for sure. One less tank to worry about. Did you have to cut any holes to lead the BBQ hose out of the locker?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jeff_McKinney

Tony,

If you have the "shorty" tank that came with the boat you should not need to modify the locker hatch to store it. Just coil the hose assembly neatly, lay it on top of the tank, and close the lid.  :thumb:

When the grill is in use I leave the lid unlocked and propped up against the lifelines. That way I'm less likely to get hung up on the tubing when reaching towards the grill. This also helps remind me to shut off the tank valve and bleed the line when finished cooking.

Obvious but important step: be sure to turn the diverter valve so the line to the grill valve is OFF when not using the grill. Otherwise you might run the risk dumping the gas out into the locker (which is vented overboard).

Happy grilling!  :clap
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

saildog2

I do not have propane locker (CNG stove) and also am looking for option to carry a small amount of propane* to fire a crab cooker (to be used on shore)  Storage in the anchor well was mentioned above, and on the surface, seems like it may work.
Has anyone used their anchor locker to store a cylinder?  *I dont know if I can use the small cylinders to boil up few gallons of water, and may have to use one of the smaller refillable tanks. 
Thanks for your input

David Arnold

I have a 2005 MkII and I store my gas for the dinghy on the stern seat/step outside the boat just above and to the side of the swim platform.  I keep the container "tied" to the stern pulpit with a bungee cord.  Never a spill or an odor and the container never moves from it's perch.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

Dale : To store my propane canisters I took some 4 inch (inside dia.) and measured the length of 3 canisters (end to end).  Then glued an end cap on one end and a clean out (screw on) on the other end.  Mounted it on the stern pulpit. 
Cheap, safe and out of the way!   A thought.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788