Where Does the Gas for the Dingy Outboard Go?

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

My old boat had a sealed locker vented overboard for gasoline and propane.   Where do people store a couple of gallons of gasoline on a C34?

Thanks,

Steve Dolling
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Steve, we store ours in the port locker.  3 gallon dinghy transom mount model.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

My 3 gallon tank fits nicely under the seat behind the helm (walk-through transom).  Stays out of feet way and well vented.  I was concerned about leaving it in a locker.  It never slides out so I have never even bungied it in.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

I keep my 1 gallon 1:50 mix under the helm cover when away from the boat.  Underway it generally gets wedged between the pedistal and and the cooler.

Long trips I also carry 5 gal of unmixed gas lashed to a stanchion on the side deck.

Since the fuel vapors are heavy, and the port cockpit locker seems well sealed around the lower edges it is probably safe in there also.  It would take a big spill to make enough vapor for it to rise up enough to flow down to the bildge.  Think you would smell it in the cockpit first.    But why take chances.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

Good question: I have the same concern about where to put the small propane tank for the BBQ? My last boat had extra space in the vented propane locker.

What solutions have folks come up with on a MKII?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Larry Robertie

Quote from: tonywright on March 12, 2007, 06:37:52 AM
I have the same concern about where to put the small propane tank for the BBQ?

I'm comming from a C27, which had considerably less room as a motivator, but I felt my solutions were safe and will continue with them.

For the BBQ propain I got a Magma zippered bag that strapped to the rail just by the BBQ.  That way the small bottles were out of the way and never made it into the boat.

For the gas, I kept the can (tightly capped off) in the towed inflatable dingy, strapped to its transom.  I can easily put another (no oil) can on there.

Now for a new challenge - I just got the Honda EU2000 generator  :thumb:.  Nice generator, and if I want I can fit it into the port locker.  But I don't really want to store it there because of the potential for gas fumes.  Another option suggested by the Dealer (Hansen in Marblehead) was to strap it down just forward of the mast and get a waterproof cover.  I'm leaning toward Hansen's suggestion.  Then again, one other member posted a really nice solution with a $165 propane conversion kit that looked very nice.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Leaking is an issue always understood.  The point could be made that gas storage containers should never leak and, if they do, should not remain onboard.

As for the small propane cannisters, see this: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-ron-hill.html

For the Honda generator, earlier discussions, many by Hal De Vera, indicated that a good place is under the saloon table strapped to the mast only after all the fuel is used up.  Hal also posted useful information about connecting the Honda to a Freedom inverter charger indicating the appropriate settings to avoid tripping the AC breaker by setting the charger with the Link.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Steve : Always give your hull # and production year so others know "what kind" of a C34 you own.

You can as Hanson suggested, tie you Honda 2000 to the mast.  Have a friend that does that or he lashes it just forward of the steering pedestal.

I made a PVC pipe holder that holds 3 propane bottles.  It's a piece of 4" PVC pipe, end cap and screw on cleanout.  Brackets hold it to the stern rail.

As Stu mentioned, NO leaking gasoline container should ever be allowed on board.  Small gas containers can also be stored in the anchor well  :thumb:

Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Anchor well.   Brilliant, thank you.   I'm actually an imposter, Ron.   I don't own a C34 yet.   I have an offer on an 1988, but I hold this belief that if I give the boat a name or include the year and hull number in my signature, the deal will fall apart...

Steve Dolling   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

John Langford

Tony,
You can put a single 1lb propane tank into the existing propane locker by lying it across the top of the 10lb tank. The locker lid closes properly. I have done that for two years without a problem.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

David Sanner

Anchor well... good idea.  A wet/rusty spot but nicely vented.

I tuck a can of propane just under the flap on my Lifesling
that I have mounted on the stern pulpit. 

It also keeps water & dirt from pooling on top of the cover
however if I ever have to use it I may have to recover my
propane bottle as well.

btw, as many know, definitely do not store propane bottles in the
cockpit locker or down below as they can leak.  In fact I've got one
right now with a faulty valve... I'm keeping it attached to my grill
until the propane runs out.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ken Juul

For the small propane bottles I sewed a couple holsters with straps that velcro to the rails under the stern perch seats.  I like the idea of under the Lifesling flap, room for one more bottle.  Note to self more picture needed.

My EU2000 currently rides under the Edson table secured to the pedistal.  When away from the boat I modified the Helm cover so it fits under it also.  If the sides of the wood helm seat for the walk thru transom (Mk 1.5) were extended it would also fit in the walk thru under the seat.  Haven't decided if I want to do that or not. 

Yes I fit alot of stuff around the pedistal when under way.  It's normally just 2 of us, with the stern perch seats and open cockpit don't miss the foot space.  At the dock or anchor it gets moved around to open up the table for eating, etc.

Waterdog, sounds like you don't take superstitions lightly (that can be a good thing :D)  I think I still have a copy of how to properly decommission/rename a boat to keep King Neptune and his followers happy when (notice I didn't say "if") you need it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

Lots of great ideas for 1lb propane tanks. But I should have been more specific. What I have is a smaller standard tank (5lb?) that used to fit nicely in a propane locker designed for two 10lb tanks on my previous (29ft) boat. The plus over the 1lb cylinders is that it does not tend to leak like they do, and if you do have any problems with the BBQ valve, you can turn off the valve at the tank and let the gas burn off.

But where would I put this tank on the C34? Am I stuck with having to go back to 1lb disposables? I hate running out in the middle of cooking a meal! Does someone make a rack/bag that fits over a stern rail for example?

Thanks

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ken Juul

I do not know if there is enough room.  Could you mount it horizontally under a stern rail seat?  Make a couple band clamps like are used on Portable fire extinguisher mounts to hold it in place. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl