Prospective Buyer's Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

monasail

We're getting into serious boat shopping next month and have the C34 (80s production) on our candidate boat list.  This will be our first boat, though we've both sailed occasionally for over 20 years on neighbors' craft, have done formal basic and cruising instruction, twice, along with some chartering.  Sailing will be on Lake Michigan, days, weekends, and cruises, usually just the two of us.  Some questions:

1.  Does the aft berth have sufficient space for two adults, 6' and 5'7, to sleep comfortably?  My wife suspects it to be cramped, though she hasn't stretched out, rolled over, or sat up in one yet.

2.  How spacious is the forward V-berth?  We slept on a C30 for 6 nights last summer and found that boat's V-berth to be a bit tight.

3.  We've not handled anything larger than 30', are very comfortable with that size, and handle it well (tho wife finds it smallish).  Do we face any significant learning/handling issues stepping up a C34 other than the obviously higher sheet forces and docking differences?  Should we wait until we've handled a larger boat in an ASA bareboat cert class this summer before buying?

4.  Does anyone have comparative experience with a C34 and a Beneteau Oceanis 350 or 351?  Wife is attracted to the Beneteau (no surprise).  If so, what are your impressions of each?

5.  Are there any years to avoid?

Everything I read here and elsewhere on the C34 leaves a very good impression and there are some interesting hulls on the market right now.  This forum is a great boatyard and we appreciate its vast store of knowledge.

Stu Jackson

Welcome and thanks for your interest in C34s.

1.  Does the aft berth have sufficient space for two adults, 6' and 5'7, to sleep comfortably?  My wife suspects it to be cramped, though she hasn't stretched out, rolled over, or sat up in one yet.

Yes, but see 2.

2.  How spacious is the forward V-berth?  We slept on a C30 for 6 nights last summer and found that boat's V-berth to be a bit tight.

Biggest in the industry.  A C30 and a C36 don't pass muster on the C34 V berth.  HUGE.

3.  We've not handled anything larger than 30', are very comfortable with that size, and handle it well (tho wife finds it smallish).  Do we face any significant learning/handling issues stepping up a C34 other than the obviously higher sheet forces and docking differences?  Should we wait until we've handled a larger boat in an ASA bareboat cert class this summer before buying?

We had a C25 for 11 years.  Sailing a C34 singlhanded is a piece of cake.  Don't wait.  Buy now, you'll regret if you don't.

4.  Does anyone have comparative experience with a C34 and a Beneteau Oceanis 350 or 351?  Wife is attracted to the Beneteau (no surprise).  If so, what are your impressions of each?

B35s are slugs compared to a C34.  I've sailed a few B35s, weeks at a time.  The cabin layout on a C34 is much better because the woodwork on the head side abuts the nav station, not the settee and makes the same space down below much bigger.  And everything on a Beneteau is completely hidden, you'll never be able to work on the boat.  As I've said many times before:  try checking the oil dipstick on a B – you have to take the whole aft cabin apart.  If you can't check the oil, think of all the other things you'll not be able to gain access to.

5.  Are there any years to avoid?

NONE.

See the FAQs: Why we bought...http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Anything else, we'd be glad to respond.  Good hunting...they're hard to find.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Footloose

I would agree with Stu's comment about handling.  We went from a Bristol 27 to the C34 with no formal training or experience.  It handles much easier and even backs up quite well.  The only hard part was getting used to looking out over a much larger deck but after 20 minutes or so of motoring and trying various maneuvers that went away.

We have found the boat comfortable for our family of four to cruise for a week although we are a couple inches shorter that you.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stephen Butler

Take Stu's advice and buy one now!  Any year.  We have a 1990 with the integral swim platform...sort of a Mark one and a half....and love it.  We spent one night in the aft cabin, before moving to the v-berth...the aft is okay and you would have enough room, but the v-berth is a fantastic space.  As for sailing characteristics, the C34 is stable, tracks well, can carry a fair amount of sail, handles rough sea conditions very well, and in our limited experience, is just a joy to sail.  We even like the prop-walk for docking.  Stu's comment on "accessibility" is critical in our opinion...new or used, you will need access to the various systems and the B's and H's (and quite a few others) just do not provide this...on the C34s, everything is within reach...maybe a close reach, but accessable.  When we went shopping, we looked at a wide variety of boats, both new and used, and the C34 just kept coming out on top.  Know this sounds like ad-copy, but it is our experience.  Why not charter a C34 for a few days or at the very least, live aboard for a night or two?   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jim Price

Question #3
             "We've not handled anything larger than 30', are very comfortable with that size, and handle it well (tho wife finds it smallish).  Do we face any significant learning/handling issues stepping up a C34 other than the obviously higher sheet forces and docking differences?  Should we wait until we've handled a larger boat in an ASA bareboat cert class this summer before buying?"

Our 1991 was my FIRST boat.  Not only that, I had only sailed once in my life for 3 hours prior to that date.  And that was on a Capri 25.  Once purchased, I had to actually sail the boat single handed for about the first 5-6 times.  Then I knew I needed training - not because she is a 34, but "how to sail".

Point is, a C34 is a fantastic boat to sail, she is large but handles "small" - meaning very easy to manuver - not tender.  If I could start first time ever using a C34, you will be in heaven with your experience.   And the Admiral will grow to love the 34 interior and storage.

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

monasail, the next obvious ? you could have is "what to look out for."  Here's an answer to that question and some links to other areas that you may be interested in following:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3403.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

tommyt

I would agree with Stu Jacksons answers completely. I was in your position in 2003/2004. I was deciding between a C34 and a Bene 323 at the time. The number series now is the old Oceanis Series. Bene makes different boats for different markets and checkbooks. In my opinion there is no resemblence between the new 36.7, 40.7 and the number series.

My research led me to a few dealers and a charter company. A dealer that sold both Bene and Catalina told me that in his opinion most of the newer Bene's were a toss up against the C 34/C36 in sailing capabilities but that in two to three years the Bene was going to have more things broken and the beautiful interior was not going to look as good as its Catalina brother.

Next I went to a friend that works and manages a Charter Fleet. They have a lot of different boats, and a lot of Catalina's and Bene's. His job is to make sure that they are kept in good shape and ready to sail with few problems. He showed me a C36 and a Bene of similar lenght and the same year. He had both looking good, but the Bene was a little more beaten up after 2 years and similar charter history. He then explained what had been replaced on both of them and the hours involved in upkeep. The Catalina won that contest hands down in that it had very little major repair and less than half the hours. He said the difference in fixing the two boats was that the Catalina was much easier to work on. In the case of the Bene almost every fix involved the removal of another system just to get to the problem. This goes to the access issue already noted.

As to the aft berth, I have never found a boat in this length that had a great aft beth. Any aft cockpit boat is going to be crowded is you have wide hips and want to turn over. Plenty of room lenght and width wise, but the ceiling is there. However, if you are not bothered by smaller areas it is plenty big enough until the aft person has to get up in the middle of the night to use the head. My granddaughter (11) and her friends call the aft berth theirs. I have had as many as 4 of them comfortable for the night back there.
The vbirth is wonderful on the C34.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Stu Jackson

One of things I like to do is help with references to material that we've discussed.  Here's an oldie about using the aft or forward cabin for sleeping:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=190.0

Tom Glennon

I sailed a Catalina 30 for 15 years prior to the 34, also had a Pearson 30.  I find the Catalina 34 handles EASIER!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Rick Johnson

I agree with Tom & Stu.  I had a Catalina 30 for several years.  A well kept 1984 and I just loved her.  I sold her when I moved to Texas and then bought the 1990 Catalina 34 and had her trucked out.  The 34 is just a cut above the 30 in every way!  I was very surprised that she handles so much better, especially backing!

I think I'm one of the few who sleeps in the aft cabin and I find it a perfect fit.  Of course, I'm solo, but I'm also 6ft 2in....  I have not tried sleeping in the v-berth but agree it's huge.

You will not be disappointed with a C34.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ken Juul

Reposted:  Originally it was it's own topic, was supposed to be a reponse to this thread.

The aft cabin or "cave" as the Admiral calls it, sold the boat for us.  We are both 6', fit easily.  It does have ventilation challenges, they can be overcome.  On a lazy weekend morning it can stay dark as long as wanted.  The Vee Berth is also comfortable and huge.  One end or the other will turn into a storage area, the Vee Berth is much easier to fetch things from.

Handling is easy and predictable.  First time the Admiral had the helm, she docked it easily with only minor coaching.  Unexpected storms are no fun, 4' chop, slamming through the waves, white water over the bow.  The boat is strong, no apparent flexing, all the cabin doors stayed closed, other than the rain and blowing spray the cockpit/cabin stayed dry.  It can take more than most crews are willing to put up with.  Reliving our first storm with dockmates, the Admiral remarked "it was no fun, but I was never afraid.  I was never worried the boat wouldn't get us home".

You won't be sorry.  Don't forget about the Market Place, http://c34.org/bbs/index.php at the bottom of the page.  Not sure how current the listings are, but it is a good place to start.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

monasail

Many thanks to all for promptly responding!  We greatly appreciate your insights, comments, etc.  If the proposed sale contract on our former house solidifies in the next few days, we'll be boat-inspecting sooner than expected - if temps get ever out of the 20s here on the Lake Michigan coast! 

We appreciate your knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm.  Stu seems to have cooled my wife's interest in Beneteaus (inherent given her Canuck ancestry), so it looks like the short list will be C34, C36, and C&Cs of similar length, with the advantage to your favorite boat.  I'm really looking forward to learning the C34 and transforming it into "our boat" over the next 18-24 months, building on your knowledge & experience and then sharing ours, semi-novice mis-steps and all.  But, as you know better than we, the 24-month point is but the beginning of a (usually) rewarding adventure!

Jon Schneider

Hmmm... seems like the C&C is a bit of ringer in this mix.  Both Catalinas are far superior for cruising in terms of comfort (both above and below decks), but an '80s C&C 36 (and maybe a C&C 34) will kill a Catalina 34/36's in a race, even though it's an older design.  So you really have to decide which quality matters more.  The diff between the Catalina 34 and 36 is more problematic.  I like the 34 layout a lot better (and think the lines are better as well), but I doubt there's much real difference between the two, so it'll come down to personal preference and selection (but go with the C34 <wink>).
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

tommyt

Monasail,

Just an FYI. I love the C36 salon as it just works! The cockpit is identical to a C34. The aft berth, which was on your list of concerns, is different. Never did figure out why, but the drop down that covers steering gears in the back of the aft cabin is at least 6" lower than a C34. Went back and forth between the two when making final decisions and my wife made the decision based on the drop down of the 36 that we should go with a 34. I don't think she has been in the aft berth more than once since.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

monasail

tommy,

Berth preferences seem to bring out firm opinions one way or the other, none in between, on this site, much like the "oil wars" on performance car forums.  I'd put money on my wife making a big deal out of the afterberth and then using it no more than once!  She was skeptical of it when we toured a charter C34 last summer.