Optima AGM batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

Has anyone had any experience with Optima AGM Marine batteries?  I've seen a Deep cycle and Staring size 34 - both about $150 at sam's club.  Was thinking of having one dedicated for starting and hooking 2 up for house.  Specs say around 800 cca and 55 amp hrs (which seemed low for that size battery - unless I'm reading it wrong)

I sail mostly weekends and I'm on a mooring so I like the characteristics of the AGM
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

wind dancer

Quote from: foursailing on February 04, 2007, 07:09:51 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Optima AGM Marine batteries?  I've seen a Deep cycle and Staring size 34 - both about $150 at sam's club.  Was thinking of having one dedicated for starting and hooking 2 up for house.  Specs say around 800 cca and 55 amp hrs (which seemed low for that size battery - unless I'm reading it wrong)

I sail mostly weekends and I'm on a mooring so I like the characteristics of the AGM

Optimaand Exide Orbital AGMs are both used extensively in 4x4s (for winching) and in speed/ski boats.  They are great in those applications.  I also think they'd work great as a dedicated starting battery on C34s.  However, I think they are far too small (in amp hrs) to be of any use in a house bank -- you'd need twice as many as you'd otherwise need. 
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Randy Stolze

Bill,

I was going through some old Practical Sailor mags and found in the March 2006 issue they did a study on AGM's and included the Optima. If you can't get your hands on it, I will mail it to you.

Essentially it says the weak point of the Optima is what Jay said, it does not have enough reserve capacity to be a good house bank battery. They rated the Trojan 27 AGM at about $169. to be the best in the group.

From the reading I have done on this board I think the best bang for the buck is 4 Trojan T-105's for the house and a side post automotive 12v. start battery back by the engine is the way to go.

Regards,

Randy

Randy

Tom Glennon

My neighbor has an Optima on his Islander 34 as a starting battery, and will be going on his 5th or 6th season with it.  Still holds a strong charge (12.7) in the basement this winter.  I think it is on my to-do list this spring also.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts