What lurks below...

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I'm still working on adding some new conduits under the cabin sole.  I decided to stick my digital camera into the bilge to give me some idea of what is already there.  I was somewhat surprised to see what looks like the bare end of a 2x4 and what looks like the inner liner plywood?  Is the liner cored?

Cheers
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Craig Illman

Rick - That's an interesting picture! Where is it taken from and which direction is it looking towards?

Craig

Rick Johnson

Craig,

That's from the aft end of the bilge, looking towards the port side.  The black hose leads to the holding tank, which is just to the right of the frame of the photo...  You can see the two electrical conduits that were installed by Catalina at the top of the photo.  Both are thin walled pvc with a single layer of fiberglass cloth.  There also appears to be a hole torn into the core of the liner.  Strange....  I also discovered several wires laying lose against the hull and one spot where a wire bundle had allowed a wire to chafe through the insulation.  I think I'm going to find a few more spots to take some additional pictures... :)
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

sedelange

Everywhere I cut through my liner floor for repairs or access there was a plywood underlayment on the liner.       
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas