Pulpit Seat Cushion

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

My old pulpit seat cushions are beat up. They are some sort of material (not very sturdy) glued onto the surface. Any ideas for new cushions and replacement ideas? Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jim Price

Expensive but great quality.  Try  http://www.ccushions.com/ .   This is CCushions that have templates for every type of C34 built and can custom make cushions.  There are other vendors out there also but this only one I have experience with.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Cliff : Your pulpit seats must have been an add on.  Your boat didn't come from the factory that way.
Take one of your old cushions to a boat canvas shop and I'm sure make new ones.  Another idea is to take a pix and sent it to one of the cushion people that advertise in the Mainsheet.  A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Cliff, it sounds like you're used to low-maintenance cushions for the pulpit, so I think Jim's solution might be just the ticket (closed cell, that is).  The other vendor (there are probably many more) that does exactly the same as C Cushions is Bottomsiders (.com).  Personally, I don't love this kind of cushion, but it's better than nothing and you don't have to take them in (although they'd last a lot longer that way).  Ron's suggestion is a good one as well (natch).  The outfit is called International Superior Cushions (888 702-8615).  I used them for my interior cushions and they were incredibly great to work with and very inexpensive, but I doubt they do closed-cell work (yet, worth a call).  JSI (newjsi.com) is also excellent.  Again, I'm not sure if they do closed-cell work; it seems to be somewhat of a specialty. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

clifford Rieders

Oh yes, they were add -ons but the problem is that the "cushion" is glued down to the plastic; thats the rub - no pun intended.

Ron Hill

Cliff : Then my post stands!!  You need to get a a boat canvas shop to make Sunbrella covers that tie underneath. 
If the foam is bad - get some custom made Bottom Siders that'll snap around the pulpit rails and scrap the old ones off.   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

skip

Cliff-

I replaced my pulpit cushions that were glued to the plastic with bottomsiders.   I removed the old ones by tearing them off and took any remaining glue off the plastic by cleaning with acetone.    After considerable work and some light sanding, the plastic was completely clean and presentable.
Michael & Helene Scipione - Virtual Reality 840
Lincroft, New Jersey