Dry Storage in Texas and Charts of the Northern Gulf Coast

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

We are sailing this summer, from Tampa Bay to Galveston Bay.  Once in Texas, we would like to store our C34 on the hard. 
We have been searching the internet and other sources, and have 3 issues that we are hoping C34 IA members could provide us with some assistance:
1) Dry storage in the Galveston/Houston area seems hard to find...at least for us.  Can anyone recommend or even know of a boatyard that stores sailboats on the hard?  We have found lots of available slips, but no dry storage.
2) We have been searching for a chart kit(s) for the Northen Gulf coast, similar to the Maptech kits we have been using in Florida.  We can certainly purchase the individual NOAA charts, but would prefer some sort of "kit" similar to what we have used in moving around Florida.  We can just purchase another data chip for the GPS, or unlock the CD for another region, but we like to use the "hard copies" when aboard.  Any suggestions on chart kit sources?   
Finally, 3) Radar...any suggested brands and/or installers in the Houston.Galveston area?  We have received so much "expert" contradictory advice that we thought it time to return to the real "users."     

Hope the group can help, as it most certainly has in the past 3 years!  As always, many thanks.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

sedelange

Stephen:
There is not a lot of dry storage of sailboats in this part of the county.  What land is available is used by boatyards for maintenance.  There are a couple of places around Clear Lake that people store their boats, but I think they are restricted to boats that load/unload from trailers as they do not have a lift. You might call Marsh Marine @ 281-334-7488.  That is where I have my C34 while I am reworking it.  He can carry your boat from the lift and lower the cradle at his yard, but it is really full.  He might can move it to a local lot somewhere that has space.  How long are you going to have your boat out of the water?

Steve DeLange
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas