removing cabin top winch

Previous topic - Next topic

David Baer

Trying to do a quick cleaning and relube on my halyard winch (hull #474)
Decided to remove winch, bring it home to the work table and avoid the dreaded drop, bounce, plop.
Removed the nuts, taped the winch with a small hammer and woood block...no movement.  Tried tapping up with a block on the studs-no movement.  Tried driving a soft wood wedge under the winch body-still no movement.
I gave up, came home and am hoping someone can tell we something really obvious and simple I am missing.  Did a search but found no reference-can I really have unique problem?
1987 Hull # 474

dave davis

David, I am not sure, but I assume that you have #30ST Lewmar winches. I had to remove both of my cabin top winches because I was not able to pull the main spindle sleeve out from the top. The main spindle was bent and it would only come loose by dropping it down through the bottom..
To remove the winch you have to take all 5 bolts off from the main flange. I think they were 1/4 20's. What makes it hard to lift out the flange is the factory installation used some type of sealer which had too much strength. You have to break the sealer with a sharp thin blade. It will take quite allot of pushing and tapping to break it loose.
Good Luck. DAVE

Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

David Baer

Thanks- back to the boat with the hammer, block and a hacksaw blade!
1987 Hull # 474

Ron Hill

David : Dave Davis is correct on the thread size. 
You need to back off the nut a bit.   Then tap the nut on the thread to loosen the winch after you took a putty knife and broke the seal on the winch to the gelcoat pad.
Ron, Apache #788