Genoa foot (cheek) blocs

Previous topic - Next topic

Fou Du Large

Hello!

Next spring i plan to install foot return blocs for my genoa sheets of my Cat-34 1986.
I'm regading for Harken  cheek blocs No.1548  3 po. sheave diam. Is that ok?

Do you know the part number of Garhauer (standard Catalina) genoa  foot blocs ?

Thank you.
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Ron Hill

Fou : If you are referring to Genoa sheet "truning" blocks (aft and then back to the preliminary winch), you can purchase these ball bearing blocks from Garhauer.   
I have a set.  You'll need to mount them high on the side slanted climbing (starboard side especially) and also cut in a Beckson port on the starboard side to get at the back side nuts.  The port side you can just remove the engine instrument panel to get at the back.  For a backing plate I used/cut 2 pieces of 1/4inch Lex an. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

You might have noticed that all the new C34's have, what Garhauer calls this block, a FOOT BLOCK. The CHEEK block is also listed in their catalogue and is smaller and lighter than the foot block. Both blocks use a #40 sheeve. The cheek block is listed as 40-21-SB and is held on by four 1/4-20 bolts. The Foot Block is listed as FB-04-SB and is held on by 5 - 3/8 bolts. I do not have a Harken Cat. but I can almost guaranteed that Garhauer will be much less than Harken. There is a big difference in price for the Garhauer Cheek block at $28.85 each and their Foot block at $104.79. The choice is yours but I would recommend for you to spend the extra bucks and go with the Gar. foot block.  :santa
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Fou Du Large

Ron

Did you put a shim under the block on starbord side?

Thank you for your recommendation.

Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

rirvine

You can see Garhauer's product listing and pricing at:

http://garhauermarine.com/

gerard

I am also planning to install next spring foot return blocs on my genoa sheets of my Cat 34 - 2006. Question: Is there anybody who can sent me some photos from an installed Garhauer set?
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Joe Kern

Quote from: gerard on December 18, 2006, 01:16:38 PM
I am also planning to install next spring foot return blocs on my genoa sheets of my Cat 34 - 2006. Question: Is there anybody who can sent me some photos from an installed Garhauer set?

Gerard - I see you have 2006 - Didn't your boat come with them already on the boat?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Guys :  Over the production years I believe that Catalina has made subtle changes to that outside cockpit combing.  That's why a photo may be a hindrance - as you might have Bimini supports and other items in the way?!? 
What you need to do is place that turning block as far aft as possible.   Then take the Genoa sheet line and run it thru the loose block and check to make sure that you have a fair lead to the winch - before drilling those holes!!   The reason that I mention the starboard block is that the sheet line winds around the winch clockwise.  The port side winch will have the sheet line first going around the OUTSIDE of the winch whereas the starboard side the sheet line will go first go around the INSIDE of the winch!!

Fou - Yes, I also used a 1/4" lexan shim to get that "fair lead" on the starboard side to move the block further outboard.

Gerard - I'm surprised that your MKII didn't come with turning blocks!  I do know that the early MKIIs turning blocks were NOT BB.    :cry4`

Always make sure you have a fair lead, as I've learned that everyones C34 is NOT exactly the same!!   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Our 1986 has the foot blocks, mounted, both sides, on teak risers about an inch thick.  I checked, I do not have any photos.  Ron's advice is apt and should be easy to do once you get the blocks.  While only one side may "require" the risers, it doesn't hurt to make them match.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

If you mount the blocks high on the slanted combing and use clear Lexan on the starboard side, you'll never notice that there isn't extra standoff on the port side.  A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

gerard

This is the genoa system I wrote about. Is there anybody who has installed such a system with Gerhauer parts? And if you have installed such a system, could you please sent me some pixs?
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Jon Schneider

Ah, this is completely different from a foot or turning block.  This is for the jib-lead, similar to the more complete version that Garhauer sells under the name of the EZ-Glide system.  I installed it last year, and it dramatically changed the way I trim my genny (for the better).  I would definitely go with the EZ Glide system, which includes double blocks on forward end of the track as well as on the lead itself; you will really appreciate the extra purchase.  Also, with the cam cleat on the aft end of the track, you won't have to drill more holes into your deck, and you'll find the positioning exactly right.  Go for it!  You won't regret it.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

gerard

Thanks, Jon can you provide me the systemcode which I have to order? EZ - G ??
Gerard de Graag   # 1751
Herkingen Marina
the Netherlands

Ted Pounds

Here's the catlog page:  http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=37
The one you want is:      E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System
E-Z G-2UB

Price is $302.50  Don't forget the track mounted cam cleats (E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System
Swivel cam 1-1/4, $96.80 )  if you don't want to mount your own cleats somewhere else.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447