Maintainance and repairs to C34

Previous topic - Next topic

isabel98

Nothing left to do during this New England winter than to think about new projects on my C34. But wait, I've already completed almost every possible upgrade or repair on this 1986 boat. I have personally done the traveller, prop, shaft, cutless, exhaust, rigging, cooling system, alternator, batts. fixed portals, autopilot, filters, fluids, etc. etc. I have received alot of info from this website, but learned the actual processes hands on and up close and personal. I don't spend alot of time on this site, but I'm offering  free advice and would be happy to answer any direct questions for anyone who is attempting one or more of these projects. Just email me at skisail42@aol.com, and I'll promptly tell you anything you need to know. After all, I don't have anything else to do.. well, there is that upstairs bathroom tile job....

Stu Jackson

That's a nice offer.  I suggest that it would be better done right here, since you said you've learned so much here, why not just put it back, 'tis the season.  Anything and everything that you've done I'm sure would be very helpful to many.  There are new skippers joining our ranks daily who may be the third, fourth and even fifth owners of C34 Good Old Boats, and could surely benefit from your experience(s).  And anything you've done and written up would be very welcome as a Tech Note or Projects contribution.   Thanks for sharing, after all, that's what this entire website is all about.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Glennon

Just a suggestion.... as you mention you have done much to so many systems... but do didn't elaborate, perhaps you could tell us some specifics, i.e. problem identified, action taken, and results.  As I too am in the throws of the New England Winter onset, being located in Onset, I could get my motivation and do a few more things.
As a true believer in "preventive maintenance" I do try to intervene and fix some things before they become problematic. However, some things, such as the exhaust, I really don't relish... I take a firm grasp, and apply a little wiggle, and see if anything moves.  So far, it has felt really solid, so I leave it alone.  The heat exchanger I did take apart and clean when I rebuilt the raw water pump last spring. 
What is the recommendation of the members regarding mast head sheaves.  Mine seem to be in good working order... the vessel is an '87, should I replace them just as a matter of age, or leave til I have a problem?
My "to do" list is getting rather lenghtly... nothing major, but always trying to take suggestions here and make the modifications that make sense.
Has anyone done anything to extend their boarding (swim) ladder?  I did a quick fix this past summer by purchasing one of the telescoping ladders, and U-bolting it to the bottom rung.  It certainly helped when getting back aboard after a refreshind dip.  I have removed the ladder after lay-up, and will bring it and the telescoping attachment to a welder, and have him permanatly weld the two together, eliminating the U-bolts.  Before I proceed, perhaps one of you have a better solution.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Tom : If the sheaves are working and not binding, I'd leave them alone, because you have to pull the mast to change them!!! 
I changed out mine to the ball bearing sheaves because I'd pulled the mast for another reason and it was easy mod. to do.  Wrote a couple of Mainsheet articles on changing out those sheaves, adding a TV antenna and a mast pulling check list.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Tom

One of the better reference links from the all-important PROJECTS page [click on C34 Projects upper right of this page] of the website is to Captain Al's Homepage, here:  http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/upgrades.html  See #24.  Al Watson sold his boat, #55, to Dave Commando a few years ago.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jon Schneider

Tom, take a look at the August 1991 Tech Notes (www.c34.org/tech-notes-index/tech-notes-index-1991.htm).  Does that help?  (I've misplaced my user name and password, so I can't see the article... I'm sorry if it's a dead-end.)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

The Tech Notes up to 2001 are on the CD-ROM.

Jon Schneider

Not on mine.  I joined when the CD only went through 1999.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Jon Schneider

Ugh... nevermind... I thought I was quoting from 2001, not 1991.  Now, I just have to dig up that old CD :(
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

At the risk of repeating myself:  The Tech Notes up to 2001 are on the CD-ROM.

UP TO means they include TO and including November 2000.  There was only one CD ever produced.

Jon, I also just sent you an email in response to your request.

Ron Hill

FYI, Our CD goes thru the Mainsheet Tech notes of Feb 2001.  I've proposed an update be made, but no consensis to that yet (to date)!!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788