Starting Battery for a MK I (1/2)

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Tonner

I installed 4 x 6v batteries forward of the hot water tank and wired them with a monitor so that they are always on stream no matter what the battery switch position. I did this because we chartered the boat and the charterers could never get it right . Aft of the engine is a dedicated starting battery, that is brought on line with a relay only during starting.All batteries are combined while starting. The starting battery is then recharged via an echo charger.The house bank is Trojan 108"s,and the starter is 1000 CCA automotive,no maintainance.This has worked well for several years.
                                                                                             Marsh
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

Ted Pounds

I put my start battery in front of the starboard water tank - mainly to help offset the port list on the C34.  I ran #2 to a separate battery switch under the head sink.  Works like a champ.  For a base glued a small plywood shelf in with Gorilla Glue.  The Goorilla Glue is easier to work with than glass/epoxy and IMHO works just as well in that application.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

karista

Jon
The starter battery is installed on the starboard side of the engine compartment. Access is thru the 18" opening underneath the mattress, then the platform was build in the useless space bordering the forward wall. Only maintenance free batteries can be used, as there is no room on top to add water. I used the Delco Voyager initially and it lasted 6 years, now I changed to the AGM which provides higher CCA and has a lower height.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Rick Johnson

OK, the battery is now installed in front of the starboard water tank.  The new #2 cable arrived today.  I was going to run the new neg from the starting battery back to a busbar in the house bank battery box. Then connect the house bank neg to the busbar and run a single #2 back to the ground on the transmission...  Is there any issues with doing that?  Sorry for all the questions, but I still see electricity as on the same level as witchcraft....

Cheers...
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ted Pounds

Rick,

Your plan will work just fine.   :thumb:   However, I elected to run directly to the ground on the engine.  That way if there are any issues with the house ground I know I can still start my engine.  Just some food for thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Rick

As previously noted, refer to my article in the Nov. 2006 Tech Notes.  The negative should be run to the bolts at the rear of the engine, not sure what you mean by "transmission."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."