LEAKING COWL VENTS

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Yates

The ECLIPSE  is a 86 model, hull #22 , I have the 2 cowl vents leaking for some time now and  have taken them off, with no results in fixing the problem.  This past trip, last week on the way home I got into one heckava storm and the vents just pored water in, even with the  vents turned away from the wind.I also have  trouble with the  step mast leaking inside...any help with be appriciated before I take them off again this week...I have checked the FAQ.& SEARCH section with no avail. Thanks
Phil
ECLIPSE
Bagdad,Fl.
Phil Yates
ECLIPSE
Bagdad,Fl.

Jon Schneider

What do you mean that you "have taken them off with no results in fixing the problem"?  Did you remove them, along with the mushroom caps, plug them up, and they still leak?  Or did you just remove them and put them back together the same way and hope that would fix them?  Why don't you do the same again, but take pictures, so we can help you diagnose the problem.  Without any other evidence, I would guess that the mushroom caps inside the vents are stuck in the open position. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Phil

don't know if you've seen this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3217.0   It has pictures and also refers to the Aug 2005 article I wrote for Tech Notes.  I agree with Jon, need some more specifics.  Might also want to do a search on the word dorade.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Phil : If water is coming in with the cowls turned aft, it sound as though you may need to rebuild your Dorade vents
What I'd do is contact Vetus (410)712-0740 and ask them for the drawing for their 4 " dorade vents.  You might also pose your question to them and Catalina (who installed those vents)!!
A few thoughts.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Yates

Thanks Stu & Ron,  for the info , this will give me something to work with..I thought I knew every inch of the  ECLIPSE, after 12 yrs. and  5 hurricane's,  thanks again.
Phil Yates
ECLIPSE
Bagdad,Fl.

Ron Hill

Phil : I think your new stainless vents look GREAT!!  Think I'll do the same, as I'm getting tired of paying Vetus $$ for 4" vents that only last about 5 years. 
Strongly think about writing up a Mainsheet Article w/pictures for Mike.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788