Fuel lines and water heater hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

The post on fuel lines reminded me of something.

Apologies to Ron as I havent researched this observation on the site or the Mainsheet.

While checking the engine in my MkII this week I happened to look at the heater hoses (water lines from the engine to the hot water heater).  They are lying on top of and in contact with the fuel injection lines, the high pressure lines from the injection pump to the injectors. 

The vibration has caused  the steel injection lines to wear the heater hoses, these need replacing.  As important the heater hoses have worn into the steel injection line,  I think its worn to a point where I will replace it too.

Both wear points will cause issues, a ruptured heater hose will spread anti freeze around the engine room and could/will lead to overheat and engine damage.  If the steel line breaks, high pressure fuel will spray around the engine compartment.

Check this out next time you look at your engines.

Ron Hill

Guys : I've written this up in the early Mainsheets' many times, but it always needs repeating.
Learned this from preflighting aircraft. 
Always make sure that there is some type of chaff guard on any line that can that is going thru a a hole or leaning up against a bulkhead or another hose.  Sometimes it is a simple wire tie to hold the hose away from a surface that it could rub against.
Always impressed my aviators with the thought that "it sure would be ashame to be brought down not by enemy fire, but by a chaffed thru line or a missing cotter pin"!!   A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788