Bow Pulpit Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

We managed to get a new bow pulpit from CY and will be putting it on this Christmas vacation time (yup, we are in education).  Our question is this: is there a particularly good tool with which to reach, remove, and then retighten the mounting nuts.  We can reach them, although it is a bit tight, but the space to use a tool is limited.  Additionally, we are concerned about dropping tools, sockets, etc. into the hull.  We have looked at rachet-type box wrenches, magnetic sockets, off-set wrenches, etc., but wondered if someone out there might have a recommendation. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Mike Smith

I've had good success with rachet-type box wrenches from Lowe's.  They have a 5 degree angle for the ratchet to engage which is great for hard to reach places with unknown obstructions.

Mike

PS I'd love to hear what happened to the old bow pulpit!

Ted Pounds

A technique I used when I added extra bow cleats in that area was to tie a light line (whipping twine) to the tool  with a loop in the other end around my wrist.  I even tied it right through the box end of the wrench and the whipping twine was small enough it didn't affect the fit on the nut.  Mike's right about those ratcheting box ends, they are very handy; though a bit pricey for a complete set.  But you can just buy the size you need and have a set of regular combination wrenches for whatever else comes up.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Steve : In the bow you might consider cutting in some 4" Beckson ports.  Makes it easier to get at the areas between the anchor well and the hull.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Yeah, I had to add a 'beckson' port when I added my cleats.   So instead of the one that came with the boat there are two in the anchor locker now.  I f you go that route be careful when you cut as the bow light wires run through that space.  I suspect, however, that since Catalina put them one using the available space you can too.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stephen Butler

Many thanks for all the ideas.  And Mike, the old pulpit was bent in on the starboard side when our C34 tumbled over on the hard, during hurricane Wilma.  Also lost the rudder, which got replaced at the start of last summer with the new configuration (a great addition!).   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023