Change Stern rails

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Reese

We have a '90 Catalina.  Would like to put different stern rails that have perch seats on them.  Has anyone done this before?  Is it difficult to do yourself?  Where does one get the rails w/the perch?
Todd & Joni Reese
s/v Eroica II
St. Petersburg, FL

Mark G

A company called zarcor sells them for the existing rails. I think I am going to get a set for my '91. They seem to run specials at the Strictly Sail shows. We dumped our old curtains and replaced them with peek-a-boo window treatments from them. (Admiral's orders, not my idea.) I have to say that I love the shades and the company was good to work with. Good luck.
--Mark

Ron Hill

Todd : I'd get the perch seats for your existing stern pulpit. Changing the entire stern pulpit would be expensive and alot of work!! 
I believe that I've seen adds by a vendor - look in your copy of the Mainsheet.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

CLR Marine carries stern perch seats for the stern pulpit, they are listed in the "ship's store".  Or I would try something similar to the following project.

http://www.geocities.com/earlylight160/SternSeats.html

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

sedelange

I laid out a stern rail with seats on Autocad yesterday.  I will be sending the drawings to a local shop tomorrow.  I will let you know what the damage will be when I get a quote.  I have to replace mine due to damage so I figure the extra cost will be worth it.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Jeff Kaplan

todd, as ron stated, it is much less exp. to get stern perch seats than to replace the entire rail. when i got #219, 3 seasons ago,the boat had one perchseat,who knows where the other went. on passage back from ri to ma. i was on the phone to zarcor, 800-877-4797, addison,tx., ordering up the other one. just tell them year of boat, they have all the molds. easy install and they become the best seats in the house. also order the cushion pads and the  rail pads,very comfy, all colors avail,sunbrella covers on rail pad. seat was about 150- ea,and cushions and backs were about 100 for the pair. great upgrade and helmsman can use also...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma