Gel coat repair from factory

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

I recently purchased a 1999 C34.  Last weekend while I was waxing the hull I noticed a small portion on the bow of the hull (maybe a couple of square feet) that looks like it had been repainted - it was a really good repair job - the only reason I know for sure that it had been repainted is that the boot stripe is slightly raised.  The colors are an exact match, though at the right angle in the sun you can see the paint line - very slight.  I looked on the inside of the hull and there was no repair.  The surveyor never picked it up.

I sent a note to the previous owner and he had said that's the way it came from the factory (he was always honest and has no reason to not tell the truth since the sale us complete).   I'm assuming there were a couple of voids in the hull that were repaired at the Catalina factory before shipment to the original owner.

Any thoughts - has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

John Langford

My guess is that there was a cosmetic issue with the gelcoat when the hull was pulled from the mould.What you are seeing is probably sprayed on gelcoat rather than paint.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

foursailing

Thanks John - yes it is definitely gelcoat, not paint.  Was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar a similar repair / touch up applied to their boat at the factory before delivery.
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Jack Hutteball

Bill,
I have a 2001 34 MKll and I have a similar area on my boat.  Mine is at the stern, inside the coming below the stern rail and just above the seat hatch on the starboard side.  In my case there was one feathered edge that peeled a little bit, but is only a small cosmetic issue.  You really have to look to see it.   at first I thought it might be mold release wax, but then I realized that the stern area must have spray gel coat application due to the way the boat is put together there.  The aluminum rail and rubber molding does not go all the way around the stern as on older boats, so they must have to spray gelcoat in that area to finish the joint.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ken Juul

1990, hull 1090.  I too have the "repair" on the stbd bow.  The anchor well lining prevents from telling if it is a repair or just new gel coat.  VEry good job, didn't see it until the second year I waxed the hull.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick Johnson

I think this might answer a question I've had.  There is a spot about 10 inches across on the port side (below the winch) which is a slightly different color of white.  I thought maybe there had been some damage repaired, so I checked both the dis-colored area and the inside of the hull.  Everything looks fine and fresh from the factory (no signs of a repair).  Now I would guess that it might have been a gelcoat issue at the factory....
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

We've got an obviously "repainted" section of boot stripe about two feet long from the bow on each side.  Don't know if the PO hit something or if it was there from the beginning.

Only thing I can offer is: the longer you own the boat, once you get over the "honeymoon" and pleasure of actually owning a C34, the more "stuff" you find.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Just a remainder that boats are some of the largest and complex objects that are still fundamentally hand-made.  That CY or any other manufacturer can produce a hand-built object with as few "flaws" as we occasionally find, usually when we are on our hands and knees and looking closing, or in small dark areas, is something I still find amazing.  Not trying to be an apologist for CY, rather just making an observation.  It took 3 years and roughly 2,400 nm before the honeymoon period slowed enough for us to see a few voids, factory gel coat touch-ups, a few missing nuts, etc.  And we still find the odd thing now and again, but overall, the C34 is a fantastic boat!   Just a few thoughts.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

foursailing

Thanks to all for your comments.  Appears that this was a done at the factory.  I don't consider this a flaw - just curious where it came from - I even called Catalina to ask them - they told me that Frank Butler was going to give me a call !(guess I have too much time on my hands). 

Like I said, with-out running your hand over the boot stripe you would never know it was there.  The boat is really in great shape and I am very happy with her!
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ