New Nauta water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Wilson

My boat has a Nauta 52 gal tank located under the aft cabin berth.  It has a slow leak or two and I am going to replace it.  I ordered a new tank from go2marine.com and it came with fittings (to be installed by owner) and a preinstalled vent fitting in the top.  There were no instructions in the package, but I have located some installation "tips" on the Internet.  No response to an email I sent to go2marine about the instructions.

I thought the new tank would be the same dimensions as the old one, but it is a couple of inches longer and narrower.  I think it will still fit the space available, and I'll still be able to lag-bolt it to the wood pads on the hull at each corner.  The new tank appears to have much thicker walls.  Also, it is constructed differently.....the old tank is a "tube" that is cut to length and the ends bonded together in a flat seam.  The new tank is two flat sheets of material bonded together all around the perimeter.

This different construction will force me to locate the fittings on the new tank differently than the old tank.  The old one has straight-in fittings located on the edges of the tank, where there is no seam.  It looks like I will need to get some 90 degree fittings and locate them on the top of the new tank, away from the seam at the edge.

I wondered if anyone else has replaced this bladder tank, and if there are any pitfalls awaiting me?

Thanks,
Gary Wilson

Ken Juul

From your description it must be going in the wide space aft of the prop shaft.  I can't envison that space holding a 52 gallon tank.  Please post pictures.  Do you still have the OEM aft tank?  Does the extra 350# cause the stern to squat?

I have no experience with a bladder type tank. but the space under the berth is at about the same level as the water pump.  I would think you would want the feed fittings on the bottom of the bladder so gravity will help provide a head for the pump.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sedelange

Gary,
Is the tank from go2marine for potable water?  My boat has the lines and attach points, but no tank, so I am looking for a replacement tank.  I have about 54 gallons in the foward and starboard tanks so I wouldn't think I would need another 52 in the stern.  In fact, I was considering plumbing the aft tank to the inlet of the head so I wouldn't be flushing with salt water.

Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Stu Jackson

Steve

Don't plumb a potentially potable water tank to the inlet of your head.  It's much easier and safer to T into the head sink drain.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sedelange

Stu,
I was considering making it a dedicated tank for the head.  I wouldn't consider connecting a potable source to a nonpotable fixture.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Stu Jackson

I understand.  One of things we've found is that having the maximum amount of fresh water onboard is helpful.  For future resale, you may want to consider the T from the head sink if your goal is to simply avoid the seawater smell to the head.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."