Commodore's Regatta

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

The annual "fun" Commodor's Race is being held this weekend at our YC.  First time my schedule finally lets me sail in it :clap  I have recruited a couple as crew that have had power boats for years but are in their first year of sailing.  The "Admirals" have all ready stated that they are coming, but don't expect to do much more than look good.  So that leaves 2 of us to do the work.  I'm thinking I'll let our guest drive and I'll handle the sails and tactics.  Good or bad plan?  Suggestions?   Bragging rights are at stake!  The forecast right now is for shifting winds in the 5-7mph range, so it may not be an issue.

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken, Congratulations on your timing and the best of luck.  Enjoy the race.  Lots depends on how well your crew can steer.  Our experience is that new crew can manage the jib sheets and winches and learn that quickly, whereas steering, including selecting courses and headings, finding the upwind "groove," and  tacking and gybing, are usually of prime importance and "controlled" by the helmsman.  Also, avoiding other boats is usually the purview of the helmsman, and the boat owner may be in a better position to know how his boat reacts, and therefore it might be safer having the owner steer.  Also, while steering, there may be an advantage in handling tactics, since once the boat is set up and sailing, steering is (should be) easy, so the helmsman has some time to look around between tacks.  In racing many times only double-handed (or with shorter crews of only 3 or 4), over the course of the last four years, against full (5 or 6 man) crews (all C34s, BTW), I have only found one crew member who could steer even reasonably well, so I took on that role, after starting out having others steer while I did the lines.  As helmsman, you then have the "role" of putting the boat where YOU want it to be.  Also, consider having the folks who you may think do not want to do anything to tail the sheets -- it's easy and gets them to participate.  Don't forget to have them bring, or you provide, gloves for their hands.  Just our experience.  Good luck and enjoy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : Enjoy the race, but I have the feeling that you're going to be the sail handler, tactician and helmsman all rolled into one!!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Winds were light, less than 8kts for most of the race.  Had a great start, lead the pack for the first 10 minutes.  A C36 with brand new sails gradually took over the lead, a Tartan 37 with what must have been a 170 or 180 genoa gradually over took both of us.  Race course ran right through a pack of about 30 boats bottom fishing, they weren't real happy with us.  Rounded the mark in third about a minute behind the leaders, #4 just behind me.  I decided on taking a straight line back to the finish line, which should have been a broad reach.   1, 2, & 4 headed up a bit.  My wind died, then backed, theirs backed but maintained about 5kts.  Wind finally filled in, but we were now about 6 minutes behind the leaders.  Crossed the line 4th, ended up in 5th after the handicaps.  All in all a fun day.  I ended up driving and trimming the main, our guest quickly picked up trimming the genoa to keep the tell tales streaming.  The normal 10 kt afternoon breeze kicked in as we crossed the finish line.  The day was beautiful, despite the other activities planned ashore no one wanted to go in.  Had a relaxing lunch, then I turned the boat over to our guests and we spent about 2 hours tacking up the river before trying a gybe and a run home.  This was their first real sail, the admiral made the comment as we came down the channel, "I haven't seen so many S*** Eating Grins in a long time?"  :clap
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA