Unstepping the mast

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I hate to admit this but since I have owned the boat, the mast has never been down. In 2001 there was some minor lightening damage and someone went up to check things out. I have not had any problemms. The issue is, should I take the mast down. I have always been nervous about problems when the mast goes back up. Cliff c34, 1990 tall rig, #1022
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Unless you're having problems or need to do some sort of maintenence that requires it, I can't think or any reason that you would have to or want to pull the mast. In most cases, it's simlper and cheaper to go up or have someone go up the mast in a bosuns chair to check things out when necessary.

Mike     :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Leave the mast in place unless you have a reason to pull it!!
Look in the Mainsheet Tech notes and you'll find all of the items that you need to check if and when you pull your mast! :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

Thanks for the "leave it" advice. One less job to do !!!

Craig Illman

Ron's always right, but when I replaced my standing rigging last winter, the toggles on the forestay and backstay at the top of the mast appeared to be developing hairline cracks where the pins from the stays pass through the toggle. While it was down, we also replaced the masthead sheaves, the wiring, the VHF antenna, the masthead light and the steaming/deck light. After fifteen years, the wiring was getting pretty sad. I hope it all lasts another fifteen years for me and the subsequent owner.

Btw, the mast came out on a Tuesday afternoon and was replaced on a Thursday afternoon in January in Seattle. We had one dry day of the two to work on it. I had taken the boom off the Saturday before to redo the outhaul ala Tom Soko.

It's all like remodeling your house, there's always something hiding behind the drywall or under the floor that needs attention.

Craig

Ron Bukowski

Last year, I had a rigger go up the mast to do a survey(Also a 1990 boat, #1073). Everything was OK. It was worth the cost for the piece of mind.
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)

Ron Hill

Guys : If you really want "piece of mind" change out your standing rigging every 15-18 years!! 
A rigger can only "see" so much!!   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Marshall Tonner

We have to store the boat for the winter on its cradle and therefore never leave the mast up. Our marina has an electrically powered mast crane and my wife and I take the mast down and store it in a rack. With just the two of us the whole process takes about an hour.It also gives me an annual opportunity to do regular maintainance without going up the mast. :clap

Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II