Adjustable Genoa Track cars

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

Ron, Stu, et. al.

I was tempted again by CLR's website and ordered the Garhauer adjustable genoa track cars. (I need to finish all my projects before I order for new ones). Anyway, I held off getting their swivel cleats for the time being, since I have a couple Harken cam cleats on the shelf due to another project re-design.

How are others doing the line control for their adjustable cars? Using Garhauer's solution? I've seen other yachts with cam cleats mounted one the side of the coaming just aft of the dodger.  I'd appreciate any ideas, suggestions and pictures!!

Craig (wish I was out sailin')

Ron Hill

Craig : If you go to the Projects site, I recently sent Mark an update on my Garhauer movable Genoa cars.  It included a couple of pictures. 
Hope this helps.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Thanks, but I don't see anything more recent than 8/15/05?

Craig

Roc

Craig,
I have the Garhauer system, including the cam cleat stoppers.  I mounted them on the aft-most part of the track, so the cars have the most motion opportunity.  I mounted them backwards, meaning the ss loop is supposed to face forward to accept a bungee. I mounted it to the rear for three reasons.  First, it makes the car linearly shorter (doesn't get in the way for footing), second, I don't use a bungee cord, I attached the free end back on the movable car to be able to pull it back.  Third, the screw that is mounted to secure it on the track is right in the way of the line, as it enters the fairlead.  By turning the car backwards, there is nothing to get in the way.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

dave davis

I also had two Harken cam cleats that I used to haul in the fairlead. I mounted them high on the coaming so the I could get a better pull angle without leaning way down near the track. I do not have a dodger to get in the way.
I also asked Guido at Gaurhaur to make me a 6/1 purchase instead of the 4/1 design. This works much better in the heavy winds.
The down side is the poor bungi cord stystem that I am going to replace with a direct line that I have not figured out yet.
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron Hill

Craig : What the pixs should show is that I made a tag line with a 3/4" loop that attaches to the movable car/block.  The bungy/shock cord, I thought was to messy on the deck so the 2 foot tag line is what I use to pull the car back with. The loop fits around the veridical screw on the fixed cam cleat to keep everything in place when not in use. 
Clear as mud?   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

yes, thanks to all. I think I'll try & sell my current LLC-3 cars on eBay to finance the swivel cam cars.

Craig