Power washer for cleaning non-skid surface

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

Has anyone used a power washer for cleaning non-skid surface on deck?  I have a small electric 1300 psi powerwasher - is there any danger of damaging the surface / gel coat? 

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

sedelange

I used a 3500 psi, 4 gpm pressure washer to clean boat I just bought and had no problem.  I was careful to keep the spray gun far enough away to not damage the gelcoat.  I also used a wide pattern nozzle.  If you use a narrow pattern nozzle and place the tip close to the surface it can damage the gelcoat.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Jack Hutteball

Bill, I have a 1300 psi electric model and have used it for 5 years with no problem.  It really cleans the nonskid well and leaves no marks.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Mark Wey

Guys

It will get the deck clean. But be very careful that you do not get a high pressure stream under any deck fittings etc. You will start a leak when you remove or loosen any sealants with such high pressure.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Jim Price

I also use a 3500 psi model but with the fan spray.  I find a "deck to tip" distance that just barely cleans - meaning you have to sweep at least twice to see the grime roll off.  To avoid getting under fittings, I try to emulate the rainfall and keep the tip perpendicualr to the area. 

If the boat has several weeks of dirty rain, I will also do a quick spray of deck cleaner using the integrated suction line on the sprayer.  This lets the cleaner work a while as I start the high pressure cycle and helps expidite the cleaning.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA