Dropping Mast

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

I just finalized the purchase of a 99' C34.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that's located several states away (N.H.).  I have transportation arranged and the last step is to drop the mast.  The marina where it's stored told me they were going to use a forklift!  They also told me that they preffer that owners not be around when they do this operation.

Obviously I'm not comfortable with this.  I'm thinking it might be better to hire a crane operator in the area to do the job.  Can any one offer any advice - any thing I should be aware of during this operation - is it a simple process to disconnect the mast wiring? 

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Stu Jackson

Deck stepped? Sounds like it.  Do you know the marina or anyone who "lives" there?  Might be worth a few calls to find somebody who may know and trust these folks.  Might be worth another call to them to find out some more (by being nice, as you definitely are) and just asking a few more questions, like, "Gee, it's a new boat to me, and I just wanna find out some more.  I promise not to be there, but, gee wizzikers, just how da ya do that with a forklift?"  I've always found out that asking questions is a good way to get to know people, get them to open up and help you out.  Barring that, hop in your car and go watch.  :)

Seriously, I understand your concern with your new baby (congratulations, BTW, and welcome aboard).  How'd you buy the boat?  If the previous seller is around, maybe he knows the yard.  Broker? Try him.  Long distance stuff like this is a pain, but you can get through it.

We have a keel stepped mast and when they yanked it out my heart was in my boots (docksiders?).  They did it with a small cherry picker with a 5/8 inch line under the spreaders.  I knew conceptually that they knew what they were doing (boat was in the water before a haul) but it was nerve wracking.

Those who haul out yearly and do this regularly should be able to help some more.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

When I moved my C34 to Texas we used a crane to unstep (?) and step the mast.  Both times I watched the whole operation with my heart in my throat.  Shortly after I was back in California and watched a friend unstep a mast on a C30 with a forklift.  One of the huge problems was the narrow footprint of the forklift.  As the mast shifted I watched the forklift come close to tipping over.  I think the crane was scary enough but I would never try it with a forklift.  Pay the extra money to get a crane and if they won't let you watch, find someone else....

Cheers
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Bill : A few years back I had the mast pulled (Mainsheet article) and they did it with a fork lift with no problem.  Mine is a keel stepped mast so your deck stepped is "a piece of cake"!!
Guess they "recommend" that the owner NOT be present, but there's no way in hell that I wouldn't be there.  You just have to be an observer and keep quiet!!  I'd be there if I were you.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

This past summer, we watched 3 masts unstepped (all keel stepped and on boats 36 LOA or longer) and 2 masts re-stepped (a 38 and a 40 footer), all with 5 ton capacity forklifts.  As a fellow that has spent 20+ years around forklift trucks, I was a bit amazed and skeptical about this application, but in all cases, it went smoothly.  We also saw a couple of masts handled by cranes, and literally had to walk away from what we expected to be a catastrophes.  I think I would be more inclined to ask my yard who was the operator and how many "sticks" he has pulled, than be too concerned about the equipment.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

foursailing

Thanks to all for the advice.  Wound up going with a crane to do the job.  It was just me and the operator so it was definitely a little challenging / exciting.   As it turned out the operator had quite a bit of experience (as Steve suggested) and everthing worked out OK.  Next step is shipping - pickup is scheduled for tomorrow with delivery on Wed.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Rick Johnson

I'm glad to hear everything worked out!  I was somewhat amazed that the majority seemed to prefer the forklift , but I guess a lot depends on past experiences.  Hang in there, it will be over soon. 

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Bill : Make sure that you slide in the "deck tie down" U bolt in the track in the mast - before the mast is set into the mast shoe.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788