Exhaust Riser/Hump Hose Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Denest

Well, I've just had the opportunity to the Catalina 34 rite of passage, the broken exhaust riser  :roll:  The riser failed at the y connection where the exhaust meets the water.  I've already done a search for both items, I'll be ordering the flange and gaskets from Westerbeake but I want to know of a source for the silicone hump hose.  The original was the very stiff hose, probably installed new.  I'll contact Catalina but any suggestions on other sources are appreciated.

Mike
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Catalina is the ONLY place to get the hump hose.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Hansen

Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Stu Jackson

Great find, Steve, thanks.  Up until recently, as far as we knew, Catalina itself was the only source.  Catalina Direct is also a great source for dozens of other products.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mike : Stu is correct.  Catalina Direct carries a number of Catalina parts, but the Catalina Factory is the only source for the 1 5/8" dia. single hump silicone hose.  Make sure that you get the longest/tallest one they stock - you can always cut it off if it's too long!!

When you order your new riser also have them "stake weld" the water nipple on the inside.  It's that outside weld that usually causes the riser to fail/leak.  The inside stake weld just reinforces the outside weld.

I'd use a flexible hose to connect the anti siphon valve to the riser.  The wire reinforced hose is very stiff - unless you have some acute angles that might "pinch" the hose, go with nylon reinforced.  It's the same principle as the hump hose - a stiff hose put vibration directly to the items' that they're attached to.  The hump hose and less stiff nylon hose take up some of that vibration.  A few Thoughts    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

Thanks guys,

I spoke with Robert Butler of the Catalina parts department yesterday.  I'll ship them the old iron riser which he quoted for $194.21 and the hump hose currently used for $29.43.  I made sure that the hose is the silicone hose with the expanded section.  Bob also mentioned that it was not a problem to fab a new one from stainless steel, reusing the existing flange.  I'll also be ordering gaskets from Torrensen Marine.  Torrensen quotes a price of $81.00 for the exhaust flange but mine is in good condition.  I'll also pick up the nylon reinforced hose to the anti-siphon valve locally.

I wonder why Catalina Direct wants double the price for the same hump hose? :think :donno:

Mike   
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Mike : Why the increased cost ? 
Trident will sell anyone a single hump 1 5/8" diameter hose directly to you.  The problem is that you have to buy a minimum order of 100 hoses !!  Wrote this up in the Mainsheet a few years back.

Catalina Direct is adding on their "storage" fee and may also want to make a few more$$.     :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

I got the new riser and hump hose installed over the weekend and can say that it was a 99.9% success.  After startup, I watched the engine temps peg out.  I checked the hoses into the exhaust header and found that the thermostat had frozen so it was removed.  Engine temps then stayed within limits and we took her out for a good shakedown cruise to make sure that everthing was ok and check for any problems.  Thanks for all of you for your suggestions and experience.  I saved myself a bunch of money by taking care of business myself.  A new thermostat is now on order.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Mike : Happy to hear that you got it back together and saved  many $$.  Know you know the job was "done right"!!

Shucks, you should have gone to your local Kubota dealer and bought a new thermostat at LESS than 1/2 the Universal cost!!   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

I did some searching through the forum for the thermostat information and found it.  I'll either find the local dealer or order one from the Kubota parts site referenced here......especially since Torrensen wants $51 for the same part!  Thanks Ron!

BTW, I ordered the 8" hump hose from Catalina Direct and trimmed it down to about 6" to get the proper fit of the riser to the manifold.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD