Vessel Documentation Service

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

Can anyone recommend a vessel documentation service?  I am in the process of becoming a new C34 owner (pending survey).  The boat is currently documented and I would like to have the documentation transferred over once the sale is complete.  I would rather not do all the paper work.

Thanks!
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Joe Kern

Classic Yacht Documentation

http://www.marineloan.com/yachtdocumentation.html

I would not complete (pay for) a sale unless I had all the documetation forms that require signature by the Seller signed and in my hands including a bill of sale that the Coast Guard will accept.  In Florida anyway the boat registartion is just that and has nothing to do with title transfer, liens etc.  You should also make sure you have done a Coast Guard lien search for claims of lien or preferred mortgages..

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Four : Don't hire a documentation service until you talk to the USCG Documentation Center in Falling Waters WV (800)799-8362.  They will give you the forms that need to be filled out and you'll probably will NOT need a service if the C34 is presently documented. 
That call may save you about $300 !!!!!!!!!!   :appl
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

I agree with Ron 100%.  Changing the name on a documentation is about $125 and is very easy.  Services charge exorbitant fees.   Just call the Falling Waters number and they will walk you through it.  I've had the documentation changed to my name on my 34 for insurance purposes, and had the documentation removed from my old 27 before selling it.  (It made it much easier to sell.)
No problems.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Mike Vaccaro

The United States Coast Guard is funded to support documentation service.  If you give them a call, they can explain the paperwork drill.  After initial documentation fees (currently $133) , annual renewal is free (just a matter of filling out the appropriate paperwork).  You'll also need to check your state laws since an additional registration fee may be required.  Laws vary by state.  Unfortunately, documenting the boat may mean you don't require a state registration number, but they're apt to take their cut of the taxes anyway.  The USCG site with the appropriate information is http://www.uscg.mil/hq/gm/vdoc/instr.htm.

Documentation is only required for overseas travel; so may be more cost effective to pursue state registration instead. 

"Documentation services" charge exhorborant fees for minimal paperwork.  As with anything in the military/federal government--it's all about the paperwork!

Best of Luck,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

windrunr

I just finished doing the documentation my self. It was not difficult. The folks that the USCG Documentation Center were helpful when I talked to them for clarification of the forms to be filled out.

The only issue that I had was getting my seller to get the right names on the USCG Documentation form which cost an extra $16 for two submittals of the sale form and the time to the wait time for them to process. They operate on a basically manual system. You can go to the documentation website and search for your boats name if previously documented and it will give you the owner history and help ensure that you have the selling owners names accurately portrayed on the sale form.
Standard Rig, Standard Keel

foursailing

Thanks to all for the info!  I will give the coast guard another try, but have not had much luck with them yet (waited about 10 minutes to get my call answered, and was then transfered and had to wait another 10 before I gave up!!)

I am tempted to just pay the fee since they also act as an intermediary between me and the seller as well as doing all the title search etc. 

Thanks again for the advice!
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Ron Hill

Four : Guess that you don't understand what a Documented vessel means. 
All of the title search has already been done or the vessel couldn't be documented!! 
I'd give the USCG another try or pay the documentation service for 95% for doing nothing!!   :rolling
Ron, Apache #788

foursailing

Thanks Ron.  Obviously from your note I don't know what I am doing.   That's exactly why I am looking for this service.  I was just inquiring if anyone could recommend a service.  I have tried the Coast Guard several times and can never get through.

I am purchasing a boat located several states away.  I need to arrange for survey, transport and prep the boat for travel.  The boat has a lien.  Not to mention the seller has not been the most cooperative. I am paying a lot of money for this boat.   It's worth the couple of hundred dollars to me for someone to handle the transaction, hold funds, pay off liens, hold the bill of sale, etc and make sure it's all done correctly.  One less headache. 

By the way, BoatUS offers the exact service I am looking for so I guess I am not the only idiot out there.  Thanks again for your help.
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Jim Price

Be real careful when it comes to liens.  My boat was previously documented and no outstanding loans.  I did use a service and they spent six months working for me to get the released mortgage papers the USCG required for the transfer.  The PO had bought the boat new, took out a loan that he later paid off and refinanced with different lender and subsequently paid that off - boat was fee and clear - almost.

The USCG needed proof the FIRST loan was satisfied and PO did not have canceled loan docs.  My agent worked with the New York bank involved for six months until they came up with a copy of original canceled loan. 

They saved me a lot of headaches and p_ssed off phone calling so under my circumstances, it was worth the money.  Just because a boat is fee and clear, doesn't mean the USCG sees it as free and clear.  If you have loans involved, I would really think hard about using a qualified service.

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

foursailing

Thanks Jim - that is exactly my concern.  9 out of 10 times I'm sure these transactions all go through without a hitch - but with my luck I'll be the one with the problem.  I'm glad things worked out OK for you.  By any chance do you remember the name of the service you used? 

Thanks again for your reply - I will follow your advice.

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Jim Price

Just happened to be at home this week.  My work was done by "Gloria Rector, Vessel Documentation, Inc.; 1315 Valley Hill Drive; Lakeland, FL  33813.  Phone 863 644-5536.   This was done on first half of 2002 so I can't speak to her still being in business. 

I would still recommend checking out USCG as the other guys have said to make sure you don't through away any money.  As Ron said, if it is currently documented, then the title should be in order.  My problems came from the same owner doing two finances and USCG did not have the "connection" documented.  The lien holder did not care as they had title until boat was paid in full.  The USCG is more particular about tracking ownership.

Good luck.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA