Cowl vent protection

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

In dealing with an uncooperative genoa the other day, my cowl vent got booted overboard. I recall a post some time ago where somone replaced their vents with nice bronze-looking vents and a guard around each. I'd love to see what that person used and how it was done, if anyone had done it. For example where the cowling guards screwed in, tapped, ??? What size were used? etc. Mine is a Calalina 34, 1990, #1022
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cried : A number of owners have also solved your "Genoa vrs Dorade vent problem" by installing solar vents in their place. 
I've never had the problem, but I'd guess a local welder could easily fabricate a 3 legged guard that screws into the dorade sides.
A few thoughts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

I found that stainless steel dorade vents and guard were put on 1994 Catalina 34 Mk1  #1290 but I only have a photo. I'd like to know who did it. Can we search by hull number? Thanks. Cliff c34, 1990

Ken Juul

go to the home page:  wwwc34.org 
select "database" from the menu on the left
find the hull number you are interested in. 
This is a voluntary sign up, it may not be there.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

dave davis

As far as I'm, you don't need the type that the CY used on the 1988 vintage. All you have to do is unscrew the two layers of air ducks that was installed by the factory and store them in your locker, never to be used again. What you will be left with is a very nice looking stainless low profile air vent. It will still be water proof and will still allow air to circulate. I don't know what hull numbers this works for but it is great for No. 707. You can even shine the stailess if you like to make it classy. You can still raise them up and down and the bug screen and the rubber seals are in the normal place.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Stu Jackson

Dave's right.  To see what they look like, just read my story in the Mainsheet, within the past two years, called Dorade Replacement, includes pictures.  We chose to replace the dorades, which is another way to go.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Replacing the dorade cowl vents with solar vents may not be the "Silver Bullet"!  I've never experienced the Genoa sheet line "whip lash" so It's hard to imagine. 
A friend of mine had that Genoa sheet line whip lash and the sheet caught under the new solar vent and -- you guessed it, the vent turned into a $150+ flying saucer.  Last seen spinning into the "brainy".
Guess that you need to keep slight tension on the "released" sheet line or something!!!    :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Its in the aug 05 edition but I could not access it. any chance you could e mail? Thanks. Cliff c34

Stu Jackson

Cliff

Done.  Anyone else want it, let me know email at mraquaq@aol.com.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Oh, and most dorade replacements as I understand them, have been from the mainsheets, not the jib or genoa sheets.

sailmed

Here's a site for dorade guards, at Mariners Hardware. 
http://www.marinershardware.com/ProdGuard.php

Probably will cost as much as the doade you're protecting.   :?