gelcoat repair

Previous topic - Next topic

steve stoneback

Sunday while scrubbing down the deck I found a spot in the deck non-skid with a void about the size of my thumbnail.  My boat is 1989 hull 918 with a tan or camel color.  I called Catalina and they told me to call Spectrum and gave me the gelcoat number of 3505.  I called (and now the problem) they do not stock that color, I imagine because of the age, but would make a batch for me, but do not make less than a gallon.  The cost is $219 bucks.  I have a chip that would require about a thimble full and don't really want to buy a gallon.  My question is, does anyone have an ounce of this color that they would be willing to sell me, or I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Steve S.
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Susan Ray

You can get a gel coat repair kit at West Marine and mix your own color. Do a test on something else and let it dry as the color may darken when dry.I did some on gray and only on close examination would you notice. Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

steve stoneback

Thanks Susan,
I have a Hunter dock neighbor who has a quart of white gel paste and some tubes of pigment so I will try and mix and match.
Steve S
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Ron Hill

Steve : Here's a suggestion.  Order a pint of Camel color gel coat from the factory.  Then recontact Spectrum and get some CABOSIL - which is a thickener.  The Cabosil is neutral in color and makes it to a consistency that you can work with.  Take your time and as it thickens patiently carve the "anti skid" lines back in it. 
Think this info is in projects and the recent Mainsheet tech notes.

The factory "camel" color will be close to your faded camel anti skid.  A few thoughts  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788