Remove aft water tank-Mark 1

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

I would like to find the best way to remove the aft fresh water tank on my 707 Mark1. It's a fiberglass tank that looks like it will come out through the lazerate after removing all the steering and propane storage.
Or should I try to get it out past the inside bulkhead with the "hidden" screw. I have read about removing the screw by cutting away the upper corner of the liner. I may have to take appart both systems to get it out.
My question is, has anyone ever taken out the aft fresh water tank on the Mark 1? :cry4`If so, how did you do it?
I plan on replacing the tank. I am not trying to save weight.
Thanks, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Jeff Tancock

I have removed mine a couple of times....just to check the tank for growth and to clean it out. It was a bit of a grunt but not that big of a deal. I removed the aft bulkhead ( I first have to remove the board on the port side hiding the fuel tank to allow the aft board to come out) and went in that way. I have had both these boards off at least a dozen times for access to various items and have removed both water and the fuel tanks at least once each. I don't know anything about a hidden screw though? One thing that I do is leave the plastic box cover attached to the aft bulkhead. I would never consider trying to remove the tank through the aft lazeratte! If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.It's not a big deal at all.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

dave davis

Thanks Jeff for your response to my Aft Tank Problem.
You are lucky that you do not have a " Hidden Screw" that prevents the aft bulkhead from comming out. I will have to cut a hole in the liner to get to the head of the screw. Others have done that and posted the work. With you input, it will be worth the effort.
You are quite right about taking off the port panel before the Aft can be removed because of the overlap.
What a great bunch of skippers this message board reaches:clap
Thanks again, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

DEMERY

On my 1990 hull number 988 there was no hidden screw.

Good Luck,

Ron Hill

Dave : Jeff gave you the correct answer.  Who knows if the factory may have attached something near your tank with a "hidden" screw?  Just be careful when you pull the tank into the aft cabin.  Also, if you have trouble getting the aft tank drain out you might just leave it in place and cut a notch in the lower fiberglass so you can slide the tank out evenly.

Don't forget to change the steering idler pins to stainless while you have the chance - just call Edson.  They're about $20 a pair.   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Dave,

There is no "hidden" screw, only the 12th or 13th (I forget) that's written up somewhere.  If you follow Jeff's description, you'll be OK.  I'll find the "screw"--ey reference soon. 

Go for it.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Dave

I was wrong.

The "hidden" screw reference is in the August 1994 Tech Notes.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Dave and Guys : The Tech note "hidden screw" was in reference to getting the aft bulkhead off.  Looks to me like it's a 1987 year C34.
If you can get the port side panel off first (they are interlocked) then the "dog house" under the steering and finally the aft panel.  There's no other "hidden" screw that I know about, but be where of Paco!!    :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Vaccaro

Ron's right.  Must remove port bulkhead panel first--then aft panel.  Kinda' tough to get it to pop out due the way it slips into the fiberglass liner next to the small closet on the starboard side of the aft birth.  We trimmed the top of this side slightly to make it easier to remove for maintenance.   

Tank can then be removed through aft birth.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

DEMERY

Ron,

Do you know when Edson converted over to stainless idler pins?

(Don't forget to change the steering idler pins to stainless while you have the chance - just call Edson.  They're about $20 a pair.)

Thanks, Dave

Ron Hill

Dave : As I posted earlier this month, Edson changed over from bronze to stainless idler pins in 1989.  That doesn't mean there may not have been a few of the bronze pins in the later systems.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

DEMERY

Thanks Ron,

I'll check it out.

Regards, Dave

Stu Jackson

rirvine

Guys:

This is all very interesting but after all this effort to get access to the water tank one still can not get the tank out without cutting the instrument wires and 12VDC power wires that run from under the helm down the front side of the water tank into the bilge. This is a task that one does not want to under take without careful consideration as to how one is going to join them all up again.

Ray