Genoa trim system

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Hanson

In the post regarding 10 best upgrades Jon Schneider recommended the Garhauer EZ glide Genoa trim system. Can anyone expand on this modification? The picture in the catalog does not show line routing, is this a single line (loop) system? Does this ever get tangled with the sheet? What size Genoa are you using? Does the extra hardware on deck make it more difficult to walk?

If this works it sure beats my system of standing on the sheet while looking at the telltales!

Tom Soko

Bruce,
I set mine up as a single line continuous loop, and it's WONDERFUL.  I decided not to try to use bungie cords as the return mechanism.  Easily adjusted under load either fore or aft.  Picture of one installed (an older model) can be seen at:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288188659&code=13911531&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite
(picture #98).  Remember to tell Garhauer if you have a recessed track or not.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

dave davis

Hi Bruce,
Your single line system sounds very interesting. Fleet 1 here in SF have four c34 boats  set up with bungee cord returns. They come with 4/1 and I have a 6/1 purchase. We all use a headsail of 130% max for racing. I tried to see your photo but I was unable to show it. What purchase do you have and what size sail?
Thanks, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron Hill

Bruce : I just sent our PROJECTS page a picture and explanation of my movable car system. 
It may take a few days to get posted, but I don't use a bungy system and my picture is free!!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Soko

Dave,
I have older model Garhauer adjustable genoa cars with a 4:1 purchase.  150% genoa and I sail on Long Island and Block Island sounds.  Unless they are brand new, I have never seen a bungie system work well.  The cars always get hung up somehow.  Not sure why you can't see the picture at Imagestation.  And Ron, it's also free!!   :roll:

Tom Soko
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

rirvine

I agree the bungie system does not work especially under load.  I have the standard 4:1 Garhauer adjustable geneo car systems with the addition of an external 2:1 so the car can be easily moved under the full load of a 130%.

Jon Schneider

I don't feel that this system makes it much more difficult to walk the deck... just little more difficult, since you don't want to walk on the lines which run parallel to the track.  I use the system with a 140.  I have not found a need for the bungy cord to pull the car aft; it will naturally roll back until you lock it as you trim the genny.  I do think that this has been the most important upgrade for sailing performance that I have done.  It really allows you to ultra trim the genny.  No more pre-tacking guessing.  No more stepping on the sheet ahead of the lead block to try to move the block forward.  The only improvement that's arguably better would be new, high-performance sails, and, frankly depending on the condition of your current sails, you'll still get a bigger performance gain from your genny with the EZ Glide system. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Bruce Hanson

Thanks to all that responded.

I have contacted Garhauer for more information and availability.

Does the new car have rollers or something to reduce friction present in my stock assembly? From the picture in Garhauers site I could not tell nor could I view other pictures due to filters in this network.

rirvine

They have ball bearings.  This makes putting them onto the track an interesting challenge.

Ray

Ron Hill

Bruce : The new Garhauer movable genoa car system in a 5:1 ratio, all ball bearing and takes about 33 ft of line (just replaced my line).  Read my installation in Projects, but you'll have to loosen 3 screws in the genoa track (for or aft - your choice) to lift the track so you can slide the movable genoa car on that fixed track on the deck. 

When you order, make sure that Garhauer know the system is for a C34 and that your track is "recessed".  Otherwise you wind up with the WRONG cars.  I don't believe that the MKIIs have a recessed track??    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ok, Ron.  I looked in Projects, then the FAQ and lastly the Tech Notes and didn't see your write-up on the adjustable genoa tracks. Am I blind or what? Can you give me a hint?

- Craig

Ken Juul

There are 2 articles in the Mainsheet on adjstable cars, Nov 93 and Feb 96. 

Thanks Stu, your index made finding them a breeze.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA