What are the 10 Best Upgrades?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

OK, I've been checking the site and doing the searches but it's time to ask the question...  My 1990 C34 is pretty much stock from Catalina.  I have done the furler upgrade to a single line (thanks Ron) and added a GPS chartplotter.  I upgraded to DSC VHF radio and installed a smaller table in the cabin.  I also added the Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang. I'm thinking I'd like to install some addition upgrades but wanted to ask others what they thought had been the best upgrades?

My list includes:

1.  Bruce Anchor and 50 ft 5/16 chain (I already have 130 ft of 5/8 NER double braid and this is second to my Fortress anchor with 200 ft of 5/8 and 30 ft 5/16 chain)
2. Marine Air Conditioning (hey, I live in Texas)
3. Xantrex Truecharge 20i charger
4. 4 Trojan Batteries for new house bank
5. New larger propane locker
6. New Garhauer Rope Clutches (triples each side, one will replace the current jam cleat for the main sheet)
7. Auto Pilot (to help when I'm single-handing)
8. Windlass
9. Mount of some kind for my 100w Solar Panel
10. AIR X Marine Wind Turbine

Comments?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Joe Kern

Rick:

I have a 2005 boat so some things on your list came with mine.  Having just done about 700 miles in 2 weeks in the Abacos I would say the following regarding some of the items on your list.

2) Marine Air Conditioning  - I live in Florida.  Thought it was too unsailor liek to get AC but wife insisted.  Best thing we ever did.  Great for summer and winter days at the dock or in marinas.  Works better than I ever thought it would.
7) Auto Pilot (to help when I'm single-handing) - It is nice for that but also when you want to eat, during an overnight sail, when the weather is bad and you want to hide etc.  Plus if you have it connected to your GPS Chartplotter and other instruments as a repeater you can get a lot of use out of the display.  I have the ST4000 and love it.  Considering the wireless remote for the autoilot and also to use as a repeater.
Windlass - first boat I have had with one and it is great and easy to use.  Makes even a quick anchoring not a big deal.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

A/C.  After a nice day sail, it is great to hook up in the marina and have a cool cabin for the night.  Without it, think I would be sailing with out my wife for most of Jun-Aug.

Windlass.  Your anchor well should be set up to install one horizontally, can supply pictures if you want.

Autopilot.  ST4000.  The wheel friction works ok, but I prefer to put it on auto when I have to be away from the wheel.  It sure comes in handy on windless motoring days.

True Charge 20.  Think I would do this when I have to change batteries.

Couple of propane locker upgrades in the Projects page

You didn't mention upgrading your traveller, several have mentioned it as the best thing they have done.  I've ordered mine.

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Hansen

Hey Rick,
I'm not the most authoritative one to answer this question as I've only Had my C34 for my third season now. My goals were to upgrade the equipment that is original. Old fuel tank had pin holes in it, old steering cable was old and frayed, electric terminals had corrosion. Now I'm on to silicone hump hose, gore dripless stuffing box packing, then engine mounts and perhaps a bullflex coupler. We also have a Garmin 178C plotter/sounder on order. You mentioned you installed a chart plotter. What kind did you install and where?
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

BillG

Essential to running all that new electrical equipment is a charging system that will  fully  recharge your batteries in a reasonable time.  There have been a number of great articles written on upgrading the electrical system and one of the first upgrades I did when I  installed four 6 volt batteries was to upgrade to a high output alternator and requlator with a battery monitor.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Jim Price

Your list lits looks good.  Go with Trucharge to keep systems alive.

I would add considerations for an inverter (since you have all the Trogans) - many expensive to inexpensive ideas here; pressure sensitive fresh water pump; cold plate to cool the old ice box; inexpensive thru-the-hull "fish finder" graphic display (I find this a high priority item that requires no holes in the bottom- great companion to chartplotter); absolutely the traveller upgrade.

I would not be overly concerned about the propane locker unless you have a need to fill the old style bottle now and cannot get anyone to do it.  Save that for last.  Even the old "small" bottles last a long time (untill you need to re-fill them).
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Craig Illman

Yet another thing to consider..... if your running rigging blocks are original, they may need replacing. Many of mine didn't turn very freely after fifteen years and have all been replaced, except the turning blocks (that are on the to-do list). Certainly high on your list would be to check the terminals on all the major 12V cables.

Craig

Craig Illman

something else.  I think the Xantrex Truecharge 20 may be a little undersized for your four Trojans. Check their recommended charger size in their manual available as a PDF on their website. I installed a Xantrex XC-30 which allows smart charging of mixed battery type banks. Even it may be a little small for the Trojans, I only have a pair of flooded Grp 27's for my house bank at the moment.

Lots of options and even more opinions to be found here, you'd think we're a bunch of economists!!

- Craig

Doug

Agree with the Xantrex 20. Fit nicely under the sink, works better, and eliminated a lot of wiring that had been running to the old beast in the back.

Two other favorite upgrades on Noeta:

Smaller table in the cabin

Tacktic wireless instruments
Doug
Noeta
1987 C34
Gig Harbor, Washington

Paul Blumenfeld

Ken,

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your windlass setup.

Paul
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ken Juul

Looked through my picture collection yesterday.  I only have external shots of the windlass in the anchor well, it you would like them send me an email.

kenandvic@cox.net
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Footloose

Rick,

If your sails are the originals you may want to add a new set of sails to your wish list.  It is like getting a new boat.  This upgrade takes some finacial planning.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Roger Patterson

The Anniversary Edition C34 came with autopilot, windlass, ... . My biggest item is a 12v outlet at the pedestal to run a laptop with nav software and gps. A plotter is in the future. It would be handy to have the power for an emergency spotlight. Next would be a pair of solar panels - one on each side atop the dodger.
Roger Patterson
Mk II #1723  2005
Blue Magic
Victoria, BC

Ron Hill

WOW! I've made so many (18 years worth of) changes to my boat, it's difficult to pick the top 10 - it really depends the system that you're talking about. 
ie. The larger battery bank may be one, but then was it more important than the extra insulation around the fridge? so the batteries don't have a larger drain? or soldering all of those connectors so I have the best electrical connection? or the hi output alternator to rapidly recharge the batteries? or the Honda 1000 that will recharge while at anchor and save the main engine??? and on and on and on !!

Two that would be toward the top of the list would be the 2nd VHF in the cockpit and the bow roller(that was missing on the 1986 thru 1988 boats)?  It's hard to say!!   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Chris Holland, I've been trying to send you the pictures. Getting an error message that your account isn't recognized.  Do you have an alternate address?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA