Heat Exchanger

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Other than changing the Zincs I don't think my heat exhanger has been touched in 16 years.  Now that the bay water is starting to warm up the engine is running at about 170, almost 180 above 24-2500 rpms.  Good flow of water out of the exhaust.  I'm going to try the Lime away/CLR treatment this weekend.  Ron suggests leaving it in for an hour.  I haven't had much success with LA/CLR cleaning the minerals out of the toilet bowl, so I'm thinking it will take longer than an hour, I was thinking about leaving it in overnight. 

What do you'all think, is that too long?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

jfssail

Ken, Lime-A-Way is a mixture of organic and mineral acids. It contains 3% citric acid, 10% hydroxyacetic acid and 7.5% sulfamic acid. These are common acids used to remove hardness and iron deposits in boilers, except usually used at elevated temperatures, 200F and with flow over the surfaces. If the deposits are not removed in 1 hour, they will not be removed in 24 hours, and I am not suggesting you use this cleaner at any thing higher than room temperatures.
You are better off letting it soak for one hour, drain and put another fresh mixture in. I used to supervise cleaning of Utility boilers with stuff like Lime-A-Way
Just my opinion, not recommendation.
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH 
Jack F Stewart
Port Clinton, OH

Ken Juul

Jack, Thanks for the reply.  The bottle is big enough for several treatments.  Do you happen to know Chuck and Sandy Schaffner?  They were our neighbors when we lived together in Spain.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

jfssail

Ken, funny you brought up the subject of Spain. My wife and I lived in Cartegena in the spring of 1968 during the start-up of UP 48 at Escombrera 5..
I don't remember the Schaffners
What were you doing in Spain?
Jack F Stewart
Jack F Stewart
Port Clinton, OH

Ken Juul

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA