Throttle Creep

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

ron, i sailed all day sunday and didn't get a chance to install the mentioned clamp. the thought of putting a cable clamp on doesn't sit well with me, but it has worked successfully for others. i will look at what you are describing next time out and see if that will help. as i mentioned, tightening down the bolt did nothing, throttle still falls from 2000 to 1700. thanks for the info...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jeff Kaplan

finally got a good chance to observe how the throttle was backing down, as i had a friend pilot the boat as i watched at the engine. i decided to go with the cable clamp fix as it was the easiest and most direct and got solid testimonial.  i must say, worked like a champ. held 2200 rpm's steady until i backed it down.  put just  enough pressure on the clamp nuts  to squeeze the outer casing slightly. the throttle now has  more tension on it , but no more throttle creep. i used a 5/16 clamp. good to go...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jim Price

As a followup to my earlier post, just adjusting the friction bolt (M25XP) - I cruised the boat for over 2 hours Sunday with throttle set at 2600 RPM in relatively rough heavy chop water and it never moved.  Guess the recommended solution worked for my boat.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

jmnpe

I just went through the process of trying to tighten the "friction" bolt on the throttle shaft under the compass mounting bracket. The compass mounting bracket had 2 of 4 bolts that wouldn't budge due to galvanic corrosion ( another project for another day...), so I had to work around the bracket. After several failed methods of getting to the nut, I finally discovered that an open end 7/19 wrench would easily drop down through the bracket grid vertically right to the top of the nut. If you have to turn it far, you'll have to reposition the wrench a few time, but it's no biggie. Just turn it like a screw driver... Whole thing was so easy I was embarrassed I didn't think of it immediately.

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

steve stoneback

Well here is yet another solution to this problem that was on our boat when I bought it 7 years ago.  I call it the "cruise control"  The PO had taken a foot long piece of Velcro which one side is the grabby side and the other side is the fuzzy side  (how's that for technical) and wrapped one end around the pedestal guard just fore of the throttle and the remaining 8 inches wraps around the throttle lever.  You adjust the rpm where you want it and it never changes.  It's not a safety problem being one flip of a finger slides it up and off the throttle.  If you can't get the bolt adjustment to work and you don't want to put a clamp on your cable, which I wouldn't want to do, then you might want to give this a try.  It has worked great for me for the past 7 years.
steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD