Engine control panel "Pan"

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Cruizer

Has anybody had a problem with the Engine control "pan?"

My 1989 panel "Pan" is so old the already oversize screws holding in the engine control panel don't work.

Besides that it looks ugly. I have tried Catalina Yachts for this part in hopes of buying a new "Pan",  with no luck.
My panel pan is 16+ by 8+.
I would really like to buy a new pan.[
Has anybody got a solution for this ugly mess?

Mike Smith

I just had a new engine instrument control panel and "pan" (or box or tray, etc) installed.  I have all the information you need.  Mine looks great!

Mike

Ron Hill

SANTA : Call Seaward @ (562)699-7997 and they will gladly sell you a new panel. 
You'd better tell them that you have a 1989 C34 with an M25XP engine.  It may have more "bells/whistles" than you want.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Earl Miller

Mike, how much was the new panel?  I would love to change mine but only if the price is reasonable .... do the old gauges stay or is the whole thing swapped out?
Earl Miller, 1989 #923 "Diamond Girl",  Gabriola Island BC

Craig Illman

The panel was less than $90, but I added the high temp alarm sensor and a new thermostat housing. I recycled all my existing gauges. If you have the ammeter, you'll want to do the harness upgrade, but I expect Ray already did that to Diamond Girl. I re-wired all the gauge to gauge to switch wiring behind the panel.  Call Seaward, they'll send you all the details, then you can decide on a course of action.

Craig

Mike Smith

Earl -

I ordered a Perkins M30 engine panel from Seward with all new gauges, alarms, lights, wirning harness, and two junction boxes.  I recall it was about $300 total.  THe first 250 Catalina 32s were powered with the Perkins M30.  The engine panel tray from Catalina was $76.56 and has to be made up if not in stock - takes about 3 days to make, I was told.  I'm very pleased with it.

Mike

Ron Hill

Santa : Reread your question about the panel and see that we didn't answer your question about the TOO large screw holes. 
I had the same problem and here's what I've done:
Try ed a number of fixes, but the only one that really worked was to fill the hole with 5 minute epoxy and re drill a proper size hole a few hours later and then remount the NEXT day.  Just make sure the epoxy is completely set.   I also used finishing washers and oval head screws to mount the panel. 
A few thoughts.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

Have you thought about installing threaded inserts into the holes?  Then you can use machine screws to retain the panel.  Check any Home Depot or Lowes for the size you need.  Also, pick up a JB Weld epoxy kit to install the inserts. 
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD