another mailsail reefing question - C380 reefing link

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

Roc-

I found the pics and have posted them here:

http://users.erols.com/reedbr/temp/

No shots of the reefing system, but I'm going down again soon and will try to snap some.  The traveler line modification is still in process.  I'm waiting for my Alcoa connection (family is great) to bring me some nice thick aircraft aluminum to fabricate with. What is pictured is just the camcleat replaced with a bullseye fairlead.  The traveler lines run to the old mainsheet clamcleat (jam design, no moving parts).  The mainsheet is tied off on starboard and run to the winch on port. Routing is an issue as the cabintop is a little crowded on a MkII with those hatches.  My plan is to extend the plate where the fairlead is about 6" so it is inside the dodger and remount the original camcleat on the end.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

reedbr

For all those concerned with the shape of a reefed main using single-line reefing and the blocks on the tack and clew, I took some pictures of the system in use last week.  Check out the "reef..." pictures in this directory:

http://users.erols.com/reedbr/temp/

I ran it in 15 knots that built to 25 before the day was out.  It held up well.  Shape control via mainsheet and vang was good.  Again, reefing was accomplished from the cockpit.  You'll even see that I skipped tying up the extra sail.  I had no desire to work up on deck with the waves we were beating through.

Roc-  I moved the traveler cam-cleats to the end of a 10" piece of teak after it passed through the fairlead.  I angled them inboard to the companionway ahead of the clutches so the high and low side could be adjusted working from one position.  I liked the positioning, but the 45 degree angle added too much friction with a bullseye fairlead.  I need a block to make that turn now.  I'm still playing but getting closer.  I'll add pics when I have them.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD