Mast Wiring Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Denest

While helping a friend route new wires into his Irwin 39's mast, I wondered as to what Catalina does to get wires for the masthead anchor lights, steaming lights and other associated equipment down the mast.  Irwin put a cord inside the mast with a knot at the masthead to keep it inside but I'm not exactly sure as to the reason for this cord except to pull the wires up the mast.  The wiring was then routed down the mast through a series of 1" diameter x 2" long or so conduits welded inside the mast leading edge.  We taped the old and new wires together and pulled everything down to the base.  The idea is to keep everything inside the conduits and away from the internal halyards.  Since one of my future projects will be unstepping the mast for inspection, paint and corrosion repair, I'd like to have an idea of what's in store for me.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Mike : Not to sure exactly what you're asking?? 
There is a 1 inch+ PVC conduit pipe inside the port forward (in side) the mast.  It ends about 1 foot below the cap and 2 feet from the keel step.  All of the wires should be in it so they don't interfere with the halyards and slap around making noise.  Look at the outside of the mast and you can see the pairs of pop rivets about every 4/5 feet.

When you take the mast out and you want to "re"wire, you use the old wire as the tracer to pull the new wire thru.  The deck/steaming lights are alittle more difficult than the anchor light, wind instrument and VHF radio coax.  If you want to add some other wire, pull the two thru together or a wire and a tracer?
Hope this helps?   :?     
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ron, I think Mike was also asking if there is/are a conduit/conduits in the Catalina masts like the Irwin he was working on. I found a pull cord at the base of mine(keel steped)but have not been up the mast yet nor have I un-stepped the mast. I assume that you could also fish the wires down if you clinb the mast.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Our keel stepped mast has a conduit inside the mast.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Denest

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on June 18, 2006, 08:55:43 PM
Ron, I think Mike was also asking if there is/are a conduit/conduits in the Catalina masts like the Irwin he was working on. I found a pull cord at the base of mine(keel steped)but have not been up the mast yet nor have I un-stepped the mast. I assume that you could also fish the wires down if you clinb the mast.

Mike

Mike and Ron have answered my question, thanks!  My boat has a keel stepped mast so I can probably expect to see the pull cord in the conduit.  A mast and boom overhaul is definitely on the list of "to-do's".
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD