starting and running the XP25

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I have been used to  Yanmar diesel and now that I am a new 34 owner need to better unbderstand the Universal xp25. I have had the engine checked out and it runs well, does not overheat, no drips of fuel or oil noticed. Here are my problems.
First is starting. I am not used to glow plugs as my old Yanmar did not have them. I turn the key , count slowly to about 30 then release and push the starter button. Several times the motor would start on one cylinder or two cylinders then finally hit on all 3. When this happens should I wait or turn off and redo the glow plug warm up or try to wait it out until they all fire? Now I am wondering if I really waited long enough for the glow plugs.
Second is docking speed. I have been controling speed by disengaging the transmission, coasting then pushing ahead. At under 10,000 the engine wants to stall out. Last week it stalled as I was approaching my dock and although we were going very slow the momentum made it very difficult to stop the boat. Like a dummy I did not have a line ready to cleat off and the wife and daughter and grandkids tried to reach out and home the pilings alongside. It was not a hard landing but made me aware that this was a much bigger boat then the old ODay 30. I need to have a line ready. My dock is easy, behind the house in a very calm cul-de-sac canal end. But, docking at marinas in wind and tide will be much different.
Lastly how much fuel should I burn in an hour. I think I read somewhere that at cruising speed it shouold be about 1/2 gallon per hour. (I know it varies as to the throttle bnut say I am at aout 2200 to 2400 rpm.) I think I have the oroginal 3 blade prop that comes with the 1988 boat. 

Craig Illman

Given your hard starting and trouble idling, I'd suspect your injectors. Also, check out the project list for the glow-plug soleniod upgrade. It's cheap and makes a very significant difference in starting time.

- Craig

Stu Jackson

Before you consider your injectors, I assume you mean under 1,000 rpm.  It could well be that your idle is simply set too low.  Either adjust the linkage, or just don't pull the throttle lever all the way back.  If you need to learn about the engine, www.marinedieseldirect.com. 

If it starts, you're generally OK.  You say it runs well once it gets going, your survey said it was fine, and what you explain is correct as to how to start the engine.  If you think, perhaps, that some cylinders aren't getting the glow plug hot, check the wiring and connections.  I agree with Craig about the solenoid project, I contributed to it.  I believe Dave Sanner, our webmaster, recently added an engine manual to the manuals section of the home page, go to www.c34.org, left side index.

Re docking.  1) if you have a dock with cleats, learn to use a midships spring line.  2)  if all you have are pilings, learn to use a midship spring line, lasso a piling!  Really, everyone needs to learn this because it saves you, the crew and the boat a LOT of trouble.

Docking speed -- didn't we just discuss this one at length?  See:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2777.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Terry : Lets see if I can address your questions one by one:
1. Engine starting of your 1988 M25XP - Take the throttle, move it all the forward, all the way back and let it cracked about 1" forward.  Then engage the glow plugs for about 30 to 45 seconds and you should note about a 2 volt drop on the engine panel voltmeter.  Then hit the starter and the engine should turn over.  As mentioned, if you have not made the glow plug solenoid modification, I'd strongly recommend that you do it.  It is written up in the Mainsheet Tech notes and in Projects.
2.  Engine Idle - It sounds as though you need to set up the engine idle as it is a bit too low.  You can adjust the idle setting (screw) at the engine or as I did just take a small "chair Tip" and place it on the end of the screw so the engine will idle faster.  I wouldn't count too much on the accuracy of the tachometer unless you know for sure the actual tach dip switch settings are correct.  Again, this is all written up in the Mainsheet and Projects.  From the age of your engine, you might want to treat it/yourself to a new set or rebuilt injectors. 
3.  Docking - In a no current, no wind condition, I try to approach the dock at about 1 knot speed.  I always try to dock on the port side, if possible, so that when I shift into reverse to stop the forward speed the stern of the boat will move toward the dock as the boat backs to port.  You might want to check your 3-bladed prop to ensure that your 15" diameter prop has been pitched to 10" by the previous owner.  Again, there are numerous Mainsheet articles on prop diameter and pitch.
4.  Midship docking - As Stu mentioned, you might want to practice the tactic of midship cleat docking.  That way you can use the engine (in forward or reverse) to hold the boat in its position.   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Terry

I agree with the above posts.  Having purchased an 88 last year let me add a few coments

The glow plug solenoid upgrade has reduced my "glow plug time" from 30 seconds or more to 10 even when it is 45 degrees outside.

If the terminals on the ends of the cables haven't been replaced, do this also.  I almost fell over the transom after doing this as the engine turned over so quickly.

If you have more money to spend, upgrade the alternator and regulator.  Full charged and gently handled bateries are the foundation of the system.

Dave
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Terry : I forgot to mention that when you engage the glow plugs, you should see about a 2v drop on the engine panel voltmeter.  This lets you know that they are "turned on" !    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

And if you install the solenoid, it'll click on and off so you know for sure.

Terry, there's an incredible amount of information on your vintage C34 on this website.  I know you've started to read it, and there's a lot to go, but stay with us and keep asking questions.

As the Guide (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=150.0) suggests, there is a lot of information on the website that applies specifically to your boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."