Depthmeter Offset

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Breezer is a 1988 Catalina 34, wing keel.  I have a new ST60 Depthmeter with the depthmeter transducer installed in front of and to port of the keel.  I want to set a waterline depth offset to match the depth indicated on charts.  For those of you who have a similar boat/instrument setup, what depth offset do you use?

Mike

PS  I intend to use the "Mark Twain" approach to fine tune the offfset next time we are out, i.e., anchor in shallow water, toss a lead line in the water and read the depth, adjust offset so depthmeter displays correct depth.

isabel98

I just use a 1 and a half foot add-on to the indicated depth. not very scientific, but logical and it works.. 8)

Ron Hill

Mike : Depending on where the transducer for the depth finder is mounted in the hull, I'll guess that it's about 3.5 ft from the transducer face to the bottom of your wing. 
Fine tune from that!!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Mike

Don't know if you saw this one: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2936.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Ron -  I dropped a lead line at the dock and it read 7' 9" while the depthmeter read 7.7' with a waterline offset of +2.0.  Close enough for me!

Stu - I did read that thread earlier during my initial search, but thanks for the link anyway.

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : Sounds as though you've got it "nailed" down.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788