RAM Mike

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hello everyone,
I have a Standard Horizon RAM mike in the cockpit.  It was installed by the factory and had it on the boat since new.  Last season, I noticed that no one was able to hear my transmissions, although I'm able to receive.  I got rid of the FM/VHF splitter, and hooked the VHF directly to the antenna (I bought an $8 wire FM antenna for the radio instead).  I thought maybe the splitter was causing the issue.   But, still not working.  I did a radio check with my neighbor.  I can hear his transmission on the RAM mike, but when I talk, he gets no voice.  He does hear a 'click', as if something is coming through.  Also, on the LCD on the RAM, it's showing that I am transmitting (TX logo on the panel).  Also did a radio check on the main station in the cabin.  That works fine.  He was able to hear my transmission and I could receive.  So, my thought is maybe the microphone in the RAM mike is not working and that's why nobody can hear me. 

I called Standard Horizon about sending it back for service.  They said it's a flat $60 fee just to look at it.  They then told me that they have a surplus of the older style RAM's (mine is about 5 years old), and they sell them for $40 to people that call in with problems.  (FYI, the latest RAM mikes have a different connection that won't work with what's installed in my cockpit)

Just want to mention, I'm aware of the posting (forget where I read it) about the micro switch and the 'ribs' on the rubber cover that inhibit positive pressure.  I remember someone saying that they cut the two outermost ribs and that enabled the push to talk switch to engage positively.  During my radio checks with my neighbor, I squeezed really hard to make sure I was making contact.

Was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.  Before I end up sending it in and paying the $40 for another mike, I will try to find someone else at my marina that I can hook up my mike to their connection just to rule out anything with the wiring on my boat.  Would appreciate any thoughts.....

Thanks!

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Joe Kern

Does you radio have an intercom function so that you can intercom from the cockpit to the main station?  If you tried that and it did not work then obviously domething in the mic and not the transmit button since you are shwong a TX on the radio. 

My only thought is a little bit of WD40 or similar on the contacts to where the mic screws in could not hurt.  Maybe just a bad connection for the pin that carries the transmittion signal back to the main radio.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

captran

Been a while since Ive been on the board but here's my experience.  My transmitt was doing the same thing, but it occured after I went to clean up the contacts. It was working fine before I cleaned the contacts!!!  Everything else works- receive, channel change, etc.  So I figured the mic had to be bad and bought a new one.  Plugged it in and same issue!  so plugged the new ram mic direct into the back of the radio and still no transmit, so I figure it has to be a problem in the radio.  The one thing I want to try is to plug in the ram mic into some one elses plug in and see if it works.  I think that would verify that the problem is in the radio somehow, but I have no clue where to go with it...so I use the handheld to transmit. :?
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Roc

Used the intercom and it worked fine, so maybe the mic is working???  My next try is to screw the Ram Mic directly into the back of the radio, to see if it might be the wiring that leads from the cockpit to the radio.  Then maybe I'll know, like Randy, if it's the wire or the main radio itself.

Roc

One more thing, did a radio check with the Ram Mic and my handheld, and it transmitted!!!  Go figure!!  Seems like it's sporadic.

Mike Smith

I've been interested in a RAM microphone for some time, since I've had a couple of bad experiences with handhelds.  How and where is yours attached?

Mike

skip

Mike-

I drilled out the hole for the plug on my Mark I on the front of the rear cockpit seat very close to the instrument panel on port side and placed the bracket to hang the mike right next to the panel.

-Skip
Michael & Helene Scipione - Virtual Reality 840
Lincroft, New Jersey

Ron Hill

Mike : If you really want the VHF radio at the wheel why don't you install a second VHF in the cockpit??  You'll get the full capabilities of a second radio and the redundancy which is nice to have.  There are a couple of articles in the Projects and in the Mainsheet Tech Notes on how to do it on your MKI. 
The price of a RAM and an entire 2nd VHF aren't that far apart. 
Also you can get the power from the key switch so you don't have to let "Communications/Navigation" switch ON on the main panel below.  That way you can turn the radio ON in the cockpit if you want to monitor the radio at anchor!! 

BTW, I have 2 hand helds on board which I seldom to never use.  Because, You never know the the battery status and my 2nd VHF you can use the mike as a speaker - if you're in a noisy area!!  It's also a hailer when I plug in the speaker that can be mounted on the bimini rails!!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Mike

You earlier posted a mention of disappointment with a handheld.

Ever since we owned our C22 in 1982, our C25 from 87 to 98, we've had handhelds in use.  We even (ohmygosh) bought the cheapest (least expensive) ones known to man at the time.  (We needed to keep our r*m budget in line!!!)

I use our HH to open bridges and keep track of ship traffic within and outside the Golden Gate.

We haven't had a failure in over 20 years.

You may want to reconsider, based on your use and the issues involved in installing a second radio or a remote mic.

If, however, you need to go "long distance" on your transmissions & receptions, I agree that a radio in the cockpit with an antenna at the top of the mast, is the way to go.

PS  - None of our HHs has been an ICOM.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."