Main cabin table switch out

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

When I bought my C34 the previous owner had made a smaller round table to replace the standard table when cruising with just 2 people. I wanted to try it but the replacement does not have a mount on it. I went to West M and looked at what they had which was a  plastic pedistal mount (called a spider) for chairs that went to 2 5/8 inch diameter. the diameter of the pole is 2 3/8 inches so it was too big. I went to Home depot and no luck. Anyone know where I can get a bracket for this? Maybe an RV store?
While at Home depot I looked for cabin lighting like described in the thread about that. When I asked the sales person if they had any 12 volt lights he looked at me like a deer in the headlights. RV store too? I have really searched the web and do not find anything that I liked very well as replacements. I went to the Bedi LCD site and saw their stuff but it was all lightbulbs that you use to convert existing lights to LCD. Practical Sailor did not recommend or put down these bulbs, only mentions them as as reliable source for bulbs.

Ken Juul

We are in the process of getting a smaller salon table.  Admiral is looking at one at Boaters World today.  My plan is to remove the mount from the existing table and put it on the new one.  At this point is is just a plan, need to ensure the new table and mount are compatible.   The only time I plan on using the big table in the future is when the salon is needed for as a berth.  In that case the table should just slide in, the mattresses and sheets should hold it in place.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Terry : Catalina Yachts is still in business, why not call parts with your question and get another bracket?  
You may have looked at the parts list in our web site, where you would have found the "table pedestal" listed.  What you need to ask them is if they sell the bracket separately? or give you the manufacturer's telephone so you can ask them.    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

sailmed

Terry:

With regard to the 12v lights, you can be sure that Home Depot had some, but you can also be sure that most of the employees there have no idea what they have.  Having just renovated my kitchen, with lots of in-cabinet and under-cabinet lighting, I can assure you that they are readily available, tho' I did find that Lowe's had a better selection.  Look for items that have a transformer, and then look at the specs on the body of the transformer.  It will tell you whether it is reducing the voltage to 12v.  If so, you could power it from your 12v boat system, without the transformer.  Most of what I found were halogen, but some were xenon.  The halogen gives a warmer hue, whereas the xenon is blue white but gives of less heat as a by- product.

Best of luck.

Terry Forshier

The original bracket under the table looks like overkill to me. It is way more comllicated that I would want on a small round table top I will be installing. In fact it would cover most of thew bottom.

Stu Jackson

Lights

Barry's right.  Many of the packages of lighting have two different types: the "original" installation which includes the transformer, which takes the 120V down to 12V and wires it to the lights; and the "replacement kits" which just simply have the lights and, sometimes wires.  As Barry mentioned, you have to do the homework, because most of the "associates" at those stores are pretty clueless.  Good luck.

Saloon Table

I assume you've seen the tables in the Projects section of the website.  I recall some discussion of the connections, maybe Al Watson's project.  See: http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/coffee.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Terry : Home Depot does have 12v lights.  As Stu said they are 120v AC converted down to 12v DC.  Most of them have halogen bulbs(10 or 15W I think?).  I have one under the shelf in the galley that I added.  You might have to get a smaller bulb,  as halogen lights get HOT.    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Andrew Harvey

I took my original base to a welding/machine shop and they made one up out of steel plate and 2" steel pipe. Basically it it is a 10" sq plate with the pipe welded on.It is has a threaded hol;e for a 1/2" bolt. Cost me 25 bucks and some white paint.
Now i have 2 tables that can be easily swapped.

Andrew     
Andrew Harvey