coolant charge - Adler Barbour frig

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

Does anyone know how to get an economical coolant charge in the Chicago area. A few years ago I was referred to a company by a local yard (Larsens Marine). The company would only bill through the yard, hence it was fairly expensive (200.00 plus as I recall). There may be a leak in the system that will have to be dealt with as well. I would love to tackle this myself but I'm told the EPA laws won't permit it.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Ken

I tried a search on "refrigerant" remembering a conversation (thread) from a while back.

Try this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=656.0

Perhaps a commercial refrigeration guy is what you need to get around the yard nonsense.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : Wrote an article on AdlerBarbour repair in the Mainsheet.  The thrust of the article was to get an AdlerBorbour repairman as he has all of the parts in his truck and it doesn't take a second service call.
BTW, my factory installed unit doesn't have a Schroeder valve to check the coolant pressure!!  You my have to have one installed.  Call WAECO at (860)664-4911 to find your local AdlerBarbour repair.

Great info in those old Mainsheet tech notes (on your CD or) on line.  :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks guys,

I initially did contact Waeco and their only repair facility in the area is the boat yard mentioned. I found a free lancer who is meeting me tomorrow. Interestingly the referral came form a friend that works at a different yard. It's a continuing story but if things go well I should have a functioning frig tomorrow --hopefully at a reasonable cost.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Ken

Work on your spelling  for Frig, use Fridge.    8) :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ken Heyman

Stu,

If "refrigerator" contains "frig", is it not reasonable to abbreviate accordingly (and thereby elevate ourselves to a higher standard)?

Ken   :?
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Just wanna keep this PG14   :D

Any luck on the repair?

Ken Heyman

Stu,

No success yet----the independent "fridge"(spelling correction noted Stu) repairman was too large to fit in the lazarette and refused to hang upside down with me holding his feet. He was critical of the previous yard repair in that in order to charge the system they tapped the coolant line and used a valve that was "guaranteed" to leak. He wants to silver solder a connection and make a "proper' valve more accessible. I'll have to remove my propane installation to give him access. As an aside, he was critical of sailboat refrigerators such as ours in that they are too small and really not adequate to do the job. He said that sailors have unrealistic expectations regarding their fridge. I explained that I've used it for three seasons and was satisfied. I don't intend to keep a 100 pounds of beef frozen for the summer.
In short he didn't charge the fridge or me and the saga continues.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Heck, I can get IN there, but getting OUT is omething else again.

I think his evaluation is whacko to say the least.  They've been working on our boats for 20 years now, so what's his beef?

Hope you can get this identified and repaired, but, so far, the price is right.   :thumb: