Wanted! Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewbowman

Hello, we are looking for a Catalina 34.  We are in Vancouver, BC but can buy from the States.  If you are in the Pacific Northwest and are thinking of selling your Catalina, please email (bowman@lightspeed.ca) or call us.  Our number is 604-261-6185.  Debbie and Andrew Bowman :shock: :shock:

Doug

We spent all year last year looking for one in Puget Sound or BC. Ended up buying one in Oakland CA and trucking it up. Still haven't seen one for sale in this area.
I will say the trucking thing wasn't too bad. Only problem was a few extra days in a boat yard taking care of things we decided to do while it was out.
We used a company called Dudley's trucking out of Tacoma. Catalina uses them for new boat delivery in the area.

Doug
Noeta
1987 C34
Gig Harbor, Washington

andrewbowman

Thanks, and yes, we have seen the same results from our search.  We also have decided to just truck one up from Calif. since they seem to have so many.  We also will be using Dudley's.  Did you have any trouble at all?  How was the boat on delivery?  We have been quoted approx. $5500 total, end to end, including an approx. price for stepping the mast etc. and putting it all back together in Bellingham.  Does this seem right to you?  Where did you ship it?  Thanks for your advice.

Doug

We shipped from Oakland, CA. to Des Moines, WA.
Seller paid for shipping, and I think it was around $2,500-$3,000, but I can't be certain.  We paid about another $2,000 at the yard for stepping the mast and assorted other work. Also have to factor in the amount of work the seller did taking the mast down and prepping it for shipment. All in all, I'd say $5,500 or so isn't too bad.

Another thing that comes into play: Supply and demand seems to have the rare C 34 on Sound costing a few thousand more than in CA. We actually bought the boat sight unseen (after survey) on the assumption we'd be able to sell it up here for the cost of buying and shipping it up. Not that I'd recommend buying a 34 ft sail boat without looking at it first....

The boat itself came through shipping in great shape. We spent a little more time and money at the yard than expected, but that had more to do with fixing a few issues with the boat than the shipping.

When we started shopping I refused to consider trucking a boat. Now that I've done it I'd do it again with a reputable shipper.
Doug
Noeta
1987 C34
Gig Harbor, Washington