AC power when not connected to shore power

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lanzilli

I am a new owner of a C34 and have a question on using the AC appliances while not connected to shore power.  I assumed this boat came with a DC to AC power inverter, since my boat is on a mooring this is important.  It looks like I assumed wrong.  Has anyone added one to their system and could you share the size you bought, where you installed it and some info on where you wired it in?
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

Tom

I recommend doing a search on the word "inverter."  There are many discussions that answer your question, for starters.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Lanzilli

Thanks Stu I found an excellent article you wrote on this subject.  Next I guess I need to do something with the water heater.  Do you think it is good enough to just keep that breaker off when using the inverter as a power source?
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Jim Price

Tom, look at the power requirements for your water heater.  That thing will kill an inverter unless you have really big bucks to spend and more batteries than you really need.  I have actually had my AC breaker trip when on shore power with the AC running, AC lights on, the microwave cooking and the Admiral fires up the hot water heater.

I think an inverter is good for all the other life necessities that you might need (TV, microwave, laptop)but you can always heat water on the galley stove or even the propane grill out back.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Tom

You wrote: "I need to do something with the water heater.  Do you think it is good enough to just keep that breaker off when using the inverter as a power source?"

The inverter replaces your dockside utility company, so when you turn the hot water heater breaker off when you're plugged into shorepower, the same happens if you're off shorepower and using the inverter for a source of AC from your batteries.  So yes, turn it off.

I believe I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that you referenced that I was going to try to use the heater, with the engine running, off the inverter.  I have NOT done that.  Part of the reason is what Jim just mentioned.  I also was going through some older correspondence I had with Al Watson (former owner of #55 and a friend) who had written me that when they first installed their I/C (a Freedom 10, I think) that they inadvertently left their HW heater breaker on and had dead batteries almost immediately.

So, I haven't done it, nor have I done the math on the power conversion of the 1,500 watt 120V heater, since I don't intend to do so.  Thanks, Jim!

If you want hot water in the morning, then you only have a few choices --  get a canal barge in France and have someone get up early and start motoring; or use a Sun Shower with some hot water.   :D  Really, we've just changed our (morning) habits and shower when we do have hot water, and the Sun Shower is very handy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Tom Lanzilli

Stu, Jim, thanks for the help.  I really have no interest in heating the water using AC, I just was not sure if keeping the breaker off on the heater was was the acceptable practice.  As Jim mentioned his friend forgot to turn it off and it killed the batteries real fast. 

For the most part this breaker will always be in the off position since I am rarely on shore power, I will just have to be carefull. :thumb:
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Jim Price

Tom, if you have "toggle" breakers (not the older "push / pull") you can use the idea that either Stu or Ron Hill uses (forgot who did this) and paint the open side of the switch in a manner that you can easily see from any where in the boat that the breaker is ON.   This would give you additional visual reference so you can make sure "you don't see any color when breaker is OFF.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Those were Ron's idea.  For new C34 owners, I continue to recommend review of the FAQ and Projects sections of the website.  See "Guide"  --  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0

Tom, with regard to Jim's last post, try this:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-ac-panel-lights.html

Ron Hill

Tom : You need to look in C34 Projects and see that I painted the switches and added a neon light to each AC breakers -- this was done so I could see what was ON and what was OFF easily from a distance. (easily done!!)
I believe that you need to decide what AC items you'll need to operate on the mooring/anchored and then that will tell you the size of inverter you'll need to use.   
I've had my C34 for 18 years and only have a small plug in 175 W inverter for the computer printer !!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788