Refrigerator Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

ssk

I'm facing the replacement of my 1994 AB 12 volt refer.
Has anyone attempted to replace the whole icebox with one of the comparably sized AB or Nocold portables.  I looked at a number of them on the Defender site and some of the sizes seem close enough and their cabablities seem far superior to the standard compressor aft and plate midships in the icebox.  I'm short and my mate is even shorter and the icebox has always been an irritant.  A shallower portable with a hinged top lid capable of ac/dc power and a good freezer compartment (or the whole thing as a freezer) for half the price of a replacement of the OEM unit sounds good. Also freeing up the bottom of my starboard stern lazarette for my stern anchor rode and chain is another benefit.  I am beginning to look fondly at my plunge cutter and the demo of the ice box.  Will saner minds wise me up?
Thanks,
SSK
Lady K
1994 C34
Channel Islands, CA

Stu Jackson

Have you seen this in Projects:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-refrigeration-2.html

Larry's unit is only AC, but the concept is the point.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ssk

That's a beautiful job he did...looks like a perfect fit.

I just have a thing about using the chart table as a writing and laptop desk.
My weakness...I like the boat looking as OEM shiny as possible.
Somehow I like the idea of being able to drop in an unobtrusive $400-$500 (or less) 12 vdc/110v ac refrig. in the icebox area with the lid in the same place---and then be able to remove and replace when it inevitably dies.  Oh well just an idea...I will get around to it when the weather turns wet and let you all know how I messed up...or if the bilge spirits are willing...how well it works.  Happy sailing to all and to all a good night.  SSK

Susan Ray

Where are you finding a 12/110v self contained reefer for $400-500?? Least amount I have found was $650.00 on line.
You may try setting one in the stern stateroom on the seat by the door. Should fit with the cushion removed only you loose that storage underneath. Thanks, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

You might want to check out this site for Engel. I wasn't able to find any prices but the product sounds good although it doesn't look like they can be built in.

http://www.i-m-d.com/

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net