Atlantic crossings with C34's

Previous topic - Next topic

Davie

I am, interested in purchasing a C34 in the USA and sailing it back to Scotland, UK.  Are there any C34 owners who would like to share their experiences of crossing the Atlantic to northern UK?

glwestcott

Haven't crossed the Atlantic, but sailed San Francisco to Hawaii in 98 PacCup and back in my 1994 C34.  Logged a good 4700 miles on the trip.  That was the windiest Pacific Cup they had had to date and the boat suffered no problems.  I would suggest looking at ocean racing category 2 (think that was it) requirements as there were some safety things that were good to do including having an emergency rudder (several boats that year lost there rudders, but not ours).  The boat is a moderate displacement boat, not a lightweight and my impression is that she will stand up to pretty much what's thrown at her.  We had several days going out and several closing on the west coast where we were experiencing 45 knot winds with gusts above both hard on (leaving) and on the beam (returning).  Was a pain, but exhilerating and the boat did very well.
Gary Westcott
C34 Jennifer Anne

Stu Jackson

Some examples may be found at:  http://www.c34.org/voyages/index.html, "Voyages."  May not cover Atlantic crossings, but does cover open ocean trips.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."