Replacing water heater

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

My existing water heater is round and has totally fallen apart so I need to replace it.  I
have noticed that most of the water tanks are now square vs. round (except Raritan which
is more than double the price) and wonder if anyone has changed their round one for a
square one in a Mark I, 1987?  I measured the space and it seems like it almost will not fit
in.  By the way, it's under the sink.  Would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this
question.  I've looked at most of the water heater discussions but couldn't find a definate
answer to this question.  Waiting for a response, thanks in advance.
Larry

1987, Hull no. 475
Veronica Ann III
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ted Pounds

The PO of mine changed to a square one.  He had to remove the whole drawer unit under the sink and the door and frame unit on the side.  I know they were removed because he did not replace the bungs.  I think there are some other posts that reference changing the water heater.  Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Larry : There are many posts on this topic.  You can install a square one in it's place (and it's cheaper!!)

Just look at your water and engine connections so you buy the one most compatible with your existing hoses.  You may have to redo the platform that the water heater sits on.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick McCall

I'm going to ask a different question here. I also have a 1987 and I am tempted to simply remove the water heater, not replace it and use the space for storage. We never use a marina when out, try to sail and use the engine as little as possible and therefore find we don't have hot water for very long. We tend to simply throw a pot on the stove and heat some water when we need to wash etc. Has anyone else simply removed the heater? Any issues with the engine cooling etc?

Stu Jackson

Rick

No problems with removal re: engine.  It's just another recirculating loop - those with heaters shouldn't depend on the heater picking off engine heat -- sooner or later it gets the water hot, so then where  do you go?

Anyway, either remove the lines or cap them. 

I've never heard of anyone removing the heater, since most tend to use it -- their choice -- when available.  Most "complain" about how long it takes to get water hot, not whether the heater is there or not.

You should consider, however, resale value.  Unless this is your for sure LAST boat, removing the heater could be a downside when coming to sell the boat.  After all, the head is pretty well laid out and even though we like to anchor out, either when after a motor, or just at a marina, it is great to have hot water and a shower.

Your boat, your choice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Rick : I know of a few people that have removed their water heaters and just let the coolant recirculate.  There's not been an issue with the engine overheating.  Don't think I'd ever do that, but to each his own!!

As a practice why don't you shut off your water heater at home for a weekend and see what your crew thinks about heating water on the stove and cold showers at anchor! 
After 30 years in the military: I've been cold/hot/shot at/hungry/scared and tired.  I damn sure wouldn't give up the water heater on my C34 for 2(-) lousy cubic feet of storage.  Look in my Mainsheet article on the drawer that I put in place of the small one above the water heater.   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788