Winterizing thru hulls

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I noticed  a few threads down that people talk about winterizing the thru-hulls, when I pulled my 88 34 out last fall I did nothing to the thru-hulls, was this a mistake?  I bought the boat in October 2005, I have pulled my Ericson out several winters and did nothing, is something different about the "34's"?  did I screw up big time by not opening them or "winterizing" I didn't see anything in the manual   Thanks, first post, just joined yesterday    Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : Reread those posts. 
When you pull a boat the thru hulls should be left open so any liquid will flow out and the line will dry out.  Then you close them to lube them in spring from the outside and the inside(by removing the hose). 
You let them closed when you "splash" in the spring and open one at a time to check for leaks, loose hose clamps or a MISSING hose- like I did yesterday!!!!   :thumb:

Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

Ron,

Congrats on getting afloat. I'm puzzeled by your last line. Did you forget to reconnect a hose?   :oops:
I sure hope you didn't take on much water.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jeff : Yes, I forgot to connect the upper hose to the sea water foot pump. 
That's why you open only one ball valve at a time.  If you hear water you shut it off immediately and investigate.  After all's quiet and all valves are open you go back and really inspect/wipe(paper towel) around each valve at the hull and hose connection.  Then inspect the fixed thru the hull "violations"(holes) for the transducers.

Not much water taken on, but I've done that before with that same connection before.  Someday I'll learn!!   :oops:
Ron, Apache #788

chrisea

What should we use to lubricate the thru hulls?

Chris
ChriSea #832

Ron Hill

Chris : You need to lube the thru hull ball valves with water resistant/proof grease on the bottom and top side.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I use Lanocote. I believe Forespar recommends using it for lubrication.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD