Mounting Solar Panels

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

Some thoughts and experiences please.  We have decided to go solar and are looking at adding 2X60W panels.  The problem is where to put the panels.  We do not particularly like the look of a rail mount, and the cost of adding an arch is too high for the budget.  We are considering putting the panels on top of the bimini, by adding some extensons from the bimini poles to support a lateral tube, on which the panels would be mounted.  The questions are: 1) Has anyone done this on their C34? 2) The bimini frame will support the load (have done the math), but in moderate winds, will the slight twisting of the bimini induce twisting loads on the panels and thereby cause damage? 3) Are there other locations on the C34 that we should consider.  We have also considered the top of the dodger, but think the sail's "shadowing" effect might make this a poor choice.  Thoughts/experiences/suggestions please.   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : I've got 2 flexible solar panels, which aren't as critical to shadows as the hard panels(they don't put out as much).  I don't have them permanently mounted, but put one on the top of the Bimini and then one on the fordeck when we're anchored. 
Solar panels take the "edge off", but if you really want to charge your battery bank - get a 1000w HONDA.  It will cost you less in the long run, not weather dependent, quiet and WILL charge your house bank back up!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

I have a Statpower 40amps with 4 Trojan 6 volts battery bank. Will a 1000 watts generator be strong enough to do the job.I was told it is border linebasedontheamperage output of the 1000 watts unit. The problem with the 2000, it wont fit in my locker. Am seriously considering a 120 watts solar panel mounted above the bimini
Any comments ?

Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ted Pounds

40 amps at 15volts is 600 watts.  As long as you're not running much else the 1000 watt generator ought to do the trick.  And the charger probably, rarely puts out full 40 amps.  My TrueCharge 20 rarely puts out the full 20 and then only for short periods.  And I too have the 4 golf cart batteries, plus the extra starting battery.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Discussions of solar panels, and generators, while not what was asked for, can be found by doing a search on the words "100 amps" -- this is an example fo one of the hits:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1563.0.  This is a LONG three page thread, with much input of different approaches to charging.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Many thanks for the leads!  We are looking at a 1000W Honda, and some solar panels.  I will get back with our solution.

One aspect of this exercise that I should mention and HIGHLY recommend to those who have not yet done do, is to do an electrical "budget," i.e., what are you actually using and what are you actually produciing.   I thought I had a handle on how many amp-hours I was using and producing...and was 34% wrong.   By doing the real numbers, and maybe using the work sheet from West Marine as a template, one gets an appreciation of the total electrical needs and system, and how each component including terminals/switches/cabling impacts another.  Take an hour and do an analysis if you haven't done some before, or if it has been awhile...it's a real eye-opener, at least for us.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stephen Butler

Stu, I forgot to thank you for the lead to the thread.  I missed it before and it is very worthwhile read.  Some comments on the opinions expressed in the thread:  Unless we have approximately 400W to 500W of solar array, we are going to fall short of meeting our daily requirements.  At the current size and cost for this arrangement, the cost will approach $4000, even accepting that our C34 will be "paved" with solar panels and we are likely to waiting for shipment (shortages of in-stock).  A 1000W Honda at $800, or a 2000W Honda at $1400 starts to look like a reasonable alternative.  However, as wise men have often said, "...your boat, your choice,"  and the preference remains for solar.  Then again, we can dump some ice in the bottom of the frig, add a thermal blanket, and turn the unit off at night, and then just focus on sailing.       
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

karista

Steve
I installed a 120 watt solar panel on top of my Kato davits, worked great and are out of the way. I also installed a Air Marine wind generator, between the two, the panel is more efficient. While I have a Honda 2000, I have never needed to use it! :thumb:
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ron Hill

Steve : If you'd install a battery monitor, it will do all of the calculating for you with the end product being AMP HOURS Used!! I's almost impossible to for cast how much the fridge is going to use.  Too many variables ie. outside temp, how full, how many times opened for how long???  Then the monitor will count back as the batteries are being charged until they are fully charged.

The Honda 1000w is more than enough to do the job with a True charge 20 amp charger.  There have been numerous articles in the Mainsheet and on this form addressing this very topic.     :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Vaccaro

Ron is spot on when it comes to monitors for the electrical system. 

Just as important as a DC monitor is an AC monitor.  This allows you to do the same analysis with your AC systems, and allows you to  monitor the quality of the shore power system--there are quite a few "less than stellar" systems out there. An AC meter allows you to accurately assess not only your AC electrical "budget" (in this case, how much your battery charger is drawing).  Good AC multi-mode meters will provide readouts of system voltage, power draw in amps and watts.  One source for this type of monitor is Blue Sea Systems.  In combination with a good DC monitor, they will allow you to properly monitor your entire electrical system.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Bruce & Sandi L

I spent the winter in the Sea of Cortez, much of which I was swinging on the hook at the mercy of the changing winds. I have three solar panels. One large one mounted flat and un-adjustable on the dodger. One is on a T pole mounted on the stern pulpit, and can be pointed any direction and degree of angle on the horizontal axis. A third is a soft one that I hang from the lazy jack lines over the boom. Many days I interrupted my busy schedule of focused inactivity (several times) to adjust the boom for best angle on the boom panel, and take the shadow off the panel on the dodger. Then I would swivel the stern pulpit panel to face about an hour ahead of the suns path. This all worked very well as long as I was there to make these adjustments. If leaving the boat I set for the best average for expected wind direction that day. If I was starting from scratch, I would mount two panels on a T post on the stern pulpit. It's the best location to stay out of shadows, and easy to adjust if you want.
Bruce (Bugsy) Landolt
EZ DUZ IT
Hull # 203
Puerto Escondido, Baja California, Sur

Stephen Butler

Many thanks for everyones' responses.  They are very useful.  Due to the current shortage of solar panels in the market and the corresponding high prices, and the need to better define a way to orientate the panels, rather than a random mount onto the bimimi (thanks Bruce), think we will "initially" go with the Honda 1000W solution (and a battery and ac monitor), and keep solar on the back burner for now.  We are sailing from Marathon FL  to Tampa via Key West and maybe the Dry Tortugas, in June, so do not want to be rushed with a solar installation. The Honda is basically plug-and-play and can always be used.  Of course now, the eternal question of do we get the 1000W or the 2000W model.  Think we have spent more time thinking about electricity that on the sailing rig!
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

kdexter

We just put on 1 85 watt panel from Jack Rabbit Marine - ordered the panel, was here in 3 days.  We had davits on our P33 and mounted a solar panel there.  We just bought an 89 Catalina 34 - had "faux" davits (husband doesn't like the dinghy weight on the transom) made to mount panel.  Works great - sturdy mount, out of the way.  We love the oh, so quiet solar - even here in what has lately been cloudy, rainy New England, the panel kept fridge and lights going strong on our 17 day cruise.  I envy your tropical cruising!