Replace Plastic Through-Hulls?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Ambrose

Thanks Ron.  I think you are right on with "exercise seems to be the key."  Marelon has a naturally slick surface and if moved frequently seems to self clean/lubricate.  Our C34 is at the outer perimeter of the mooring field in Casco Bay, Maine.  Not a place to discover seawater entry.  We always close all seacocks at the end of the day and as routine procedure open all upon arrival.  After 23 years we have not had a thru-hull blockage or leak.  You're process of "moving the viced saecock when going by" seems to replicate what I have found to be the case.  We are in a moderate fouling area where slime and mussell growth are an issue.

Joe Kern

This might be a better question for the monthly question of the Month, but I wonder how many people close all their thru-hulls every time they leave the boat?   I think it is one of those things that people should do but don't.  At least I can't think of any reason not to except possibly forgetting to open them which is really only a problem on the raw water intake for the engine (remedied by hanging the keys on the handle of the intake before you leave).

I have to leave my a/c intake open as I keep it on humidifier mode when I leave.  Other than that I have decided to get in the habit of closing them each time I leave the boat at the end of the weekend.

I would be interested in thoughts on this.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl