Fuel Tank Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

I'm replacing the fuel tank this weekend.  I've  read whatever I can find on site, including Ron's cleaning project, but does anyone have any tips, lessons learned?.  Specifically, anyone have a problem with the fittings for the fuel line and the return line? 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Craig Illman

I did mine last October, including replacing all the lines, except the main fuel fill. Crawling in the rear lazerette to do the vent line was the most challenging part. It took my father-in-law and I four hours, including the time it took pumping out all the fuel and pumping it back in. I think I used new fittings on the new tank and just moved the shutoff valve over from the old tank.

Craig

Steve Hansen

Replaced my leaky tank last season.  Rather than crawl down into lazerette like I did :cry4`, just remove the port bulkead in the aft stateroom, and aft bulkhead if needed. I replaced fuel fill line, check fuel fill line at very top, mine was cracked and barely noticable but was the second source of leaks. after draining tank as much as I could, I duct taped all the openings and slid plastic bags over it. did not want ANY spills on the teak to clean. Tank is much easier to remove with help. Everything else needeed to know are in the other posts. Good luck!
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Ed Shankle

Check the threads from last year. I replaced my tank the previous year and received a tank from Catalina with different dimension fittings (on both ends, tank and hose) than what the old tank had. Catalina sent out a new set to me, but it delayed the project a week. I also bought a new sender, not realizing Catalina included one with the new tank.
Otherwise, it was a straight forward project.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA