Balmar 621 alternator on M35B

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Jackson

Hi,

Ahoy. I'm new to this site.  I have a C36 with the M35B engine.  I have done a search on this site and read alot of material about alternator upgrades.  Questions: Has anyone installed the Balmar 621 80 amp. alternator on the M35B?  My measurements suggest it may be a simple "bolt-on" fit?  I read about bracket to fan interference with Balmar alternators.  Is that on the M25 or the M35?  Thanks.
Oh, by the way- you're forum feature on your web site is much better than ours!  Nice work!!

Fred Jackson Catalina 36 #2209 "Amante"  Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

Stu Jackson

Fred

Nice last name!  & thanks for the kudos, it's a large group effort.

The issue with the brackets on all the engines (assuming they have the upgrade on the M25; since the later engines all had the NEW alternator bracket), it's the top edge of the bottom of the bracket that hits the Balmar fan blades.

It is NOT an issue - just take a file and whittle away at it until the fan clears the bracket.  It's only a teeny bit of a conflict, a dremel tool would do it faster.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Fred : For what it's worth, I've had a Balmar 75 duel output alternator on my M25XP since 1991.  I did not have to do any modification to the original bracket!!  It works great and has plenty of clearance. 
You really need to get a reply from an owner of a MKII that has an M35B engine.  BTW, the head on a C34 is on the other side of the alternator.  Not too sure what's on the other side of the alternator in a C36??  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788